Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP glitchy problems I can't figure out

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doubtful its video because that has nothing to do with the speed of the internet.
Now your ethernet card will have a lot to do with it.
Tell ya what just to see try the below.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
http://www1.pcpitsto...?conid=24410845

hopefully thats the right addy you need to get you to my results. :)

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
another thing I don't understand is just say it is my internet (even though I'm pretty sure its not...) why would I have gotten a blue screen of death the other day? That part kinda baffles me still :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your drivers are all current and other then some misc little things that could be resolved the issue would seem to be a faulty network card.
If you have a broadband connection like cable or dsl then you are always connected. If your network card is failing then it may BSOD on you.

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have satellite internet (because DSL isn't available where I'm at) It has the the built in ethernet box on the mother board... I put in a dif ethernet card that was new and had in my other dell but never used it because I'd bought this one... but still seems to lock up things.

I didn't realize ethernet cards would give a BSOD.. but then I've NEVER had that happen on my pc before. This was the first BSOD that I've ever had on this PC.

So everything points to it being my internet in some way or form for sure then huh? :) Yet they checked and say it looks fine and not on there end. :unsure:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Losing connectivity would not show a BSOD but a failing Nic card would if it just all of a sudden stopped working.
Let me get a readout out this way.
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok heres the BSOD info...

==================================================
Dump File : Mini060711-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/7/2011 7:20:19 PM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x8053da17
Parameter 3 : 0xb3742c98
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : dump_wmimmc.sys
Caused By Address : dump_wmimmc.sys+46a0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+66a17
Stack Address 1 : dump_wmimmc.sys+46a0
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+6a67c
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060711-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112
==================================================

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
dump_wmimmc.sys is part of the gameguard folder.
Delete your gameguard folder and let it re-download. It's part of your Gameguard.

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok I did that and it redownloaded the folder for it. Wish it would have given a code that had to do with my EQ so I knew why that was messing up bad. :) I didn't play the game to see if that fixed it all the way or not yet though but at least I did away with that folder and have a new one. :unsure:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now it is just a matter of you doing what ever it was you did before that caused the BSOD.

Advertisements

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Darn deleting that folder and having it reinstall on its own didn't help at all! :) I still locked up on both games so not a clue what to do now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x8053da17
Parameter 3 : 0xb3742c98
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : dump_wmimmc.sys
Caused By Address : dump_wmimmc.sys+46a0

this is the complete code you were asking about. I would next suggest contacting the game makers and see if they can add to the issue resolution since it only seems to happen during the playing of these two particular games correct?

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
that code won't help EQ at all because it doesn't use that GameGuard. That is only something that Rappelz uses, but redoing that folder helped and I haven't gotten any BSOD now. Things are just slow as heck still and tryin to figure that out and fix that now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the code you need you will have to explain so I can figure out where to find it.
Is the slowness on everything or just the games??