Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get past Windows Loading screen after clean install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

saxdragon

saxdragon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Just finished a clean install of Windows XP Home. Computer had black screen with error message. I made several attempts at repairing system using the original install disk. Did multiple malware and virus sweeps. Finally got it working again but it refused to update Windows Security files, constant crashes, hangs, etc. After more repair attempts and malware sweeps gave up and did clean install after backing up my files.

After spending 12 hours on the process of the clean install, installing antivirus software, browsers and security updates, the most recent Windows updates were installed as I restarted (for the 679th time today) whereupon the next bootup was preceded by the computer running CHKDSK on the blue screen. It tried to continue the boot, then went into a cycle of rebooting after the Windows loading screen (before you enter your personal account). Everytime this happened, I saw a blue screen with white type flashing by for a fourth of a second. I couldn't start in safe mode, but I managed to stop the automatic restart and here's what the message on the blue screen said:

STOP: C000007b {BAD IMAGE}
The application or DLL \??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll
is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your
installation diskette

What the [bleep] are these "Windows images"? I get more error messages, hangs, and crashes from these than anything else! Bad image...what the [bleep] is that?!

BTW, upon running a boot time scan with Avast I discovered a Win32 worm that snuck in with my first download of Windows updates. Avast quarantined it.

Another point - I had just managed to downlaod and install IE8 and all the Security updates etcetera from Windows before the CHKDSK ran and the machine stopped working.

I've spent a solid week trying to resurrect this freaking machine. The hard drive is less than two years old. Seems a little soon for it to be going bad. I appreciate very much any help in solving this infuriating riddle.

Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do not duplicate your topic. It makes more work for members and staff and could potentially get you mixed advice being given. Your original topic is HERE so please edit your original post to include any new info but do not reply to your topic or someone may think you are already getting assistance. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :)