Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Lock Ups. All signs point to video driver.

• Please log in to reply

yoda76

yoda76

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey Geekstogo. I have been having a lot of problems lately with what appears to me my videocard.

I first noticed the issue when I plugged a camera into the computer, this was not the first time I plugged in the camera. Almost immediately after I did, my computer froze for about 10 or 20 seconds before returning to normal. I then took a picture off the camera, put it into photoshop, and within seconds got a bluescreen. When my computer froze before the bluescreen it said explorer.exe and dr.watson debugger unexpectedly stopped working even though I was not running explorer.

This was the stop code: Stop 0x0000008e (0x0000047, 0x804FCF44, 0x80550EB4, 0x00000000)

When I tried updating malwarebytes after the reboot, it froze on updating, but still said it fully updated. (error code below).

When I researched the issue, I saw many posts sighting a graphics driver as the source. So I then updated my graphics card driver. Graphics card: nvidia gtx260. Driver: 275.33 WHQL

After this things seemed to run smoothly although I noticed that when I brought up the task manager, my processes, cpu usage, and commit charge values did not show up right away. (I am still having this minor issue).

Tonight, I had another bluescreen. I was on flickr and logged off when my computer froze, it did return back to normal. I then went to google images and shortly after received another freeze and ultimately a bluescreen.

Blue screen 2 info: Stop: 0x0000008e (0x0000001, 0x88478925, 0xB21E1400, 0x00000000)
watchdog.sys - address B8478925 base at B8478000, Datestamp 480254ab

I then updated 2 of my firefox plugins (flashplayer and java). And checked for windows updates. After this bluescreen, it told me to update my video drivers, but on the updates page there were none. The only update I installed was this: 'Update for Windows XP (KB2492386)"

What I've noticed is that these problems have occurred when dealing with images. Strangely enough, I have had no trouble playing videogames. I've also run several avira and malwarebytes scans, they are both updated and have found no viruses. In addition to that, I have run CCleaner several times and have been cleaning out my temp data more frequently.

In my event viewer I have spotted these errors:
Application errors:
Jun.10 Fault bucket -1883328116. Event ID 1001
Jun.10 Hanging application firefox.exe, version 1.9.2.4127, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. Event ID 1002
Jun.8 Faulting application mbam.exe, version 1.51.0.1074, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00030004. Event ID 1000
Jun.8 Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. Event ID 1002
Jun.8 Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001295d. Event ID 1000
Jun.8 Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 6.0.2900.6028, fault address 0x0004dbe4. Event ID 1000

System errors:
Jun.10 Error code 000000ea, parameter1 87e93ca8, parameter2 881c0008, parameter3 8883c290, parameter4 00000001. Event ID 1003
Jun.10 Error code 1000008e, parameter1 e0000001, parameter2 b8478925, parameter3 b21e1400, parameter4 00000000. Event ID 1003
Jun.10 The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates. Event ID 108
Jun.8 Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000047, parameter2 804fcf44, parameter3 80550eb4, parameter4 00000000. Event ID 1003

Thankyou

Edited by yoda76, 10 June 2011 - 01:28 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download and install WhoCrashed from http://www.resplende...ashedSetup.exe' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

also it wouldn't hurt to run both chkdsk /r
and memtest86

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thankyou for the quick reply. Although this doesn't make sense, because I crashed once before I installed this driver and the report only picked up the 2 from last night.

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 6/10/2011 6:45:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24432E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8478925, 0xFFFFFFFFB21E1400, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 6/10/2011 6:45:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x8CFB1)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF87E93CA8, 0xFFFFFFFF881C0008, 0xFFFFFFFF8883C290, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

-------

I don't know if this helps, but I looked in my nvidia folder and found about 6 other old drivers dating back to March 2010. I thought that nvidia built on top of the old ones so I never bothered uninstalling them, could this be the issue?

In addition I also disabled "hardware acceleration" on my flash settings for youtube videos, as I saw other posts on other sites that said watchdog.sys was caused by a conflict between flash and the display driver.

Edited by yoda76, 10 June 2011 - 09:29 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
also if your overclocking ANYTHING stop...
uninstall all the old drivers and then try reinstalling the latest and greatest

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

also if your overclocking ANYTHING stop...
uninstall all the old drivers and then try reinstalling the latest and greatest

I know my GPU is overclocked by EVGA, I haven't had any problems like this until now.

Will I need to install something like a drive wiper?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Will I need to install something like a drive wiper?

why would you want to wipe the drive... :) are you planning a complete reinstall
NOTE...there is no need to quote what i said

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Oh shoot, that was a typo. I meant a "driver wiper". I heard that just deleting the driver folder doesn't actually uninstall it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use the add/remove programs in the control panel to uninstall all the old drivers

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if the problem continues.

qwerty88

qwerty88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Disabling flash hardware acceleration helped me with similar problem:
http://forums.adobe....message/2930511