Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

swlabr

swlabr

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have been in the virus / malware forum for the last month communicating back an forth with a helpful moderator and have just gotten a clean bill of health. Never found any viruses. The only problem is that I still have the same problem that I originally sought help for.

My issue was and remains:

"When my computer is idle for any period of time, the computer screen will freeze. I can move the cursor but nothing else happens. If I click on the something then the cursor will freeze too. I have to power off the computer and when it restarts it is fine until it sits idle and then the same thing happens. I run microsoft security essentials daily. Do I have a virus or malware issue? I am posting the OTL log. Thanks for your help."

Your assistance resolving this problem is kindly requested and deeply appreciated.

Swlabr

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Do I have a virus or malware issue?

You said you have been given a clean bill of health.

Sadly, you have told us nothing about your computer, or version of Windows. :) Is your system fully updated?

You say this happens after it has been idle - for how long? Does that time correspond to the system sleep settings?

Any errors in device manager?

Have you tested your RAM? You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
or
Windows 7 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.

Alternatively, you could install a single RAM module and try running with that to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

swlabr

swlabr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.1.7600
Date 2011-06-10
Time 21:07

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2800 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2816 MB
BIOS Type Unknown

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Monitor SyncMaster 931B/931BF/931BA/930BA(Digital) [NoDB] (H9NL602294)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
Disk Drive ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device
Disk Drive EPSON Stylus Storage USB Device
Optical Drive hp DVD A DH16AAL SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 466841 MB (231512 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 9993 MB (1507 MB free)
Total Size 465.7 GB (227.6 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
Mouse Tablet Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (192.168.1.101)
Modem LSI PCI-SV92EX Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Bullzip PDF Printer
Printer EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series
Printer Fax
Printer Journal Note Writer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer Send To OneNote 2010
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Epson RX585/595/610/PM-A840/A840S
USB Device Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Input Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support
USB Device USB VoIP Device

I believe everything is updated.

It never freezes while I am using it. But if I leave for any period of time. Let's say 10 minutes or more there it is likely that it freezes. Not all the time but 90%of the time. The cursor still works but I cannot interact with the screen.

I ran the windows 7 mem test as you suggested and it found no problems.

I am not sure what you are suggesting with replacing the RAM module. Is this if the memtest found a problem? Do you think this problem is memory related.

Thanks

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I am not sure what you are suggesting with replacing the RAM module. Is this if the memtest found a problem? Do you think this problem is memory related.

If you have more than one stick of RAM, running with just one at a time may expose a bad one. It is just another way to test RAM. I don't think it is a memory problem, but memory problems can cause a computer to lock up.

I ask again,

Is your system fully updated?
Does that time correspond to the system sleep settings?
Any errors in Device Manager?

swlabr

swlabr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Is your system fully updated?

I am set for automatic updates. But I just checked and I was missing one windows 7 important update which I have now updated that.

Does that time correspond to the system sleep settings?
I don't know what the system sleep settings are. I have power options for monitor after 10 minutes and computer never. Is this what you are asking me?

Any errors in Device Manager?

None

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you are complaining that your locks up if you leave it for 10 minutes and now you are saying your power option is set to 10 minutes. I would set it to 20 and see what happens.

swlabr

swlabr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
First of all I didn't realize it was a complaint. I thought this was a forum that offered assistance to members who had problems with their computers, not the better business bureau.
I do have one complaint and that is your obnoxious attitude.
You incorrectly read all my correspondence, including the last one. I never said the monitor shuts off. It is obvious from your sarcastic attitude that you have no intentions of helping me.
I am asking for someone else to help.
I don't want to deal with you.
If not cancel my membership.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

First of all I didn't realize it was a complaint.

Huh? You reported a problem with your computer. That's called a complaint. In no way was it meant to suggest you were just complaining.

:)

Obnoxious? I am trying to help you. But sadly, you have not been forthcoming with information that may lead us to a clue. So I asked again. You asked about the power settings, I noted that 10 minutes and 10 minutes seems to be the only lead. Like all here, I am but a volunteer. I am sorry that I don't know the answer to your problem. Have a good day.