Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 install error-can't locate cd rom/drive

• Please log in to reply

dee0909

dee0909

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have computer w/ no OS. On a budget and have full 98 os installation and xp upgrade installation. Getting errors at loading 98 floppy boot disk. Can't find cdrom drivers. can't detect the cd rom. I've heard somewhere it's because it comes pre loaded w/ generic cdrom drivers that are IDE based. I know mine is SATA connected only. I heard somewhere that I need to start up w/ something that recognizes the SATA. I really want to get this one up and running. Any suggestions??? I'm very much a newbie.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why are you putting Windows 98 on it?
You don't need to. Boot off the XP CD instead and it will ask you at some point to insert a Windows 98 disk as proof of upgrade.

dee0909

dee0909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
serious?? I didn't even TRY that!! been virtually banging my head over this, yet I knew in the past i've loaded operating systems w/ the combination of my xp upgrade and 98 full install..... so I just reverse the installation?? ok, well, if this does work, I'm buying you a virtual drink!!!! will do it this afternoon.

Edited by dee0909, 11 June 2011 - 05:58 AM.

dee0909

dee0909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you neil jones!!! Apparently it's been a while since I've used these disks. The reversal is what I'd done in the past. I put in the xp upgrade, it asked for 98 disk (w/o key), and then to put back in xp and it finished installation perfectly!! Of course I have a butt load of windows updates I had to install, but all is done and all component drivers and program installations also complete. Now my little baby is clean and running good w/ a healthy 150g hard drive space left. Ready to go! THANK YOU THANK YOU. Sometimes it's the easiest things that stumble you! Eureka! :)