Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure what watt PSU to get

• Please log in to reply

little87

little87

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My HP Pavilion 750n PC has a 200 watt PSU. I need to replace the PSU and upgrade the computer so I'm not sure how many watts I need. According to the wattage calculators I've used, my computer needs about 320 watts (right now, before the upgrades) and it has a 200 watt PSU. So I'm not sure what to get when I upgrade.

Here are the current system specs:
HP Pavilion 750n
Windows XP
Pentium 4 1.60 GHz processor
80 GB IDE hard drive
512 MB DDR RAM
4 USB 1.1 ports
1 Firewire port
2 serial ports
1 DVD drive
1 CD-RW drive
1 floppy disk drive
v.90 internal modem
onboard/integrated video (I think), audio, and ethernet

I want to upgrade to at least 640 MB RAM, but I'm going to try for 1 GB.
I want to add 2-4 USB 2.0 ports. I don't know if I'll remove any of the 1.1 ports.
I want to add a TV tuner card.
I may have to replace the hard drive. The new one would probably be between 80-320GB.
I'd also like to get an external DVD-RW drive.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to do all these upgrades. I'm probably a lot better off if I just buy a new computer. But I just want to be prepared in case I can do all the upgrades.

Any thoughts on what watt PSU I should get?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need a PSU upgrade to add more memory, extra cards or a bigger hard drive.