Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan Failure Error

• Please log in to reply

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey, Geeks-to-Go folk! :-D

My Dad's HP Desktop system is acting strangely and I could use your assistance. I went to start it up, this morning, and it gave me the following error:

"ERROR: System Fan Has Failed.

Service PC to prevent damage to the system.

Press <F2> to continue"

F2 boots Windows normally. I opened up the system and took a look, and all of the fans (Power supply, CPU heatsink, and one other) were spinning normally. I unhooked the CPU heatsink and the other fan and reconnected them, and I got the same error. I know I probably could just hit F2 and forget about it, but I don't want to take that chance. Does anybody have any insight?

Please and thanks,

- Brennan

Posted Image

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Just because a fan is spinning, does not mean that it is operating properly. It could be running slower than it should be. I am not sure if HP has a means of determining which fan is not running properly. There are also fans in the power supply and the case.

Info from HP

The above link might help in determining which fan has the problem.

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, I spent some time browsing in the BIOS, as instructed in the linked article, for the Hardware monitor. Dad's BIOS doesn't seem to have such an option; however, the article does make a distinction between the "System fan" and the "CPU fan," which leads me to believe it's my "Other" fan that is having troubles. I'll replace it (my friend has a spare I can yoink) and follow up here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Couple of programs you can use when you have swapped the fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html trying the 2 should confirm a true reading of the fan readings.

Brennan C.

Brennan C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi, everybody!

Sorry for the delay in following-up; we've been busy, and haven't had much time to work on Dad's system. Our eventual solution was simply replacing the fan; the error reared its ugly head a couple of times after we connected the new one, but after a little adjusting, the system picked the fan up normally.

Thanks for your help,

- Brennan

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thanks for letting us know. It will help other posters if they have similar issues.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Yes I echo what 123Runner has said thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted :)