Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt DLL files after installation of automatic downloads

• Please log in to reply

saxdragon

saxdragon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm going to put my previous post regarding my problems with corrupted DLL files following a clean install after a major crash. This is for background purposes:

[[Just finished a clean install of Windows XP Home. Computer had black screen with error message. I made several attempts at repairing system using the original install disk. Did multiple malware and virus sweeps. Finally got it working again but it refused to update Windows Security files, constant crashes, hangs, etc. After more repair attempts and malware sweeps gave up and did clean install after backing up my files.

After spending 12 hours on the process of the clean install, installing antivirus software, browsers and security updates, the most recent Windows updates were installed as I restarted (for the 679th time today) whereupon the next bootup was preceded by the computer running CHKDSK on the blue screen. It tried to continue the boot, then went into a cycle of rebooting after the Windows loading screen (before you enter your personal account). Everytime this happened, I saw a blue screen with white type flashing by for a fourth of a second. I couldn't start in safe mode, but I managed to stop the automatic restart and here's what the message on the blue screen said:

STOP: C000007b {BAD IMAGE}
The application or DLL \??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll
is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your
installation diskette

What are these "Windows images"? I get more error messages, hangs, and crashes from these than anything else! Bad image...what is that?!

BTW, upon running a boot time scan with Avast I discovered a Win32 worm that snuck in with my first download of Windows updates. Avast quarantined it.

Another point - I had just managed to downlaod and install IE8 and all the Security updates etcetera from Windows before the CHKDSK ran and the machine stopped working.

I've spent a solid week trying to resurrect this machine. The hard drive is less than two years old. Seems a little soon for it to be going bad. I appreciate very much any help in solving this problem

Thank you ]]

My current problem is that whenever I install automatic downloads of updates from Microsoft, I end up with more missing and/or corrupt system files. DLL files mainly for now, but who knows if it'll spread to other kinds.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I think I need those Microsoft updates, but I've turned them off until I find out what's going on.

Thanks very much,
SteveB

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r...it will search for bad sectors and if it can't repair them then it marks them as bad so windows doesn't try to write to them again...
BTW...your not getting malware from windows update...its probably on some of your data or programs your downloading or putting back on your computer from the old install

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware forum. Updates don't come with malware. If you have only installed Windows and it is already failing, then probably you have been infected without knowing.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Happyrock has provided you with the answer at this stage.
Either the hard disk is failing and that is the reason that it scheduled autochk - a chkdsk on boot
This appears to be supported by this

After spending 12 hours on the process of the clean install, installing antivirus software, browsers and security updates, the most recent Windows updates were installed as I restarted (for the 679th time today) whereupon the next bootup was preceded by the computer running CHKDSK on the blue screen

If you do decide to follow the advice from devper94 then here is HOW you should go about it.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

FOLLOW carefully the advice in the link.

However, it appears to me that as they are extremely busy in the Malware forum and in view of what has been said regarding the signs of your infection, it will be far easier for you to start again with a complete format
and reinstall., bearing in mind the advice previously given by Happyrock

BTW...your not getting malware from windows update...its probably on some of your data or programs your downloading or putting back on your computer from the old install

Additionally and really as an aside, please do not post the same problem twice.
I have asked for the other thread here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1
to be closed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 June 2011 - 09:22 AM.

saxdragon

saxdragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks to everyone who's trying to help. Sorry about the gaffe in posting protocol. I'll get back with a report on my results as soon as i can. But i'm suspecting it's a hardware problem.