Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Unable to format USB Flash Drive, says "RAW" Filesystem

• Please log in to reply

qwerty321

qwerty321

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have a 2gb USB Flash Drive of "Silicon Power"

A fried of mine borrowed it. But when she returned, It stopped working.

My computers detects the flash drive, but when I try to enter, it says the disk needs to be formatted. however when formatting, it says "The Disk is right protected!" There is no "write protecting" function in this particular flash drive.

When i right click properties, the file system shows RAW, Used and Free space all show 0 bytes.
However, when i use other formatting software and few other software it says size 1.78gb

I tried formatting it with HP formatting tool with no success.
I read that it can be fixed using Linux, however the problem is no one I know uses Linux

The data in the flash drive is not needed, so im not handicapped with the need of the data inside. I ll be more than happy just to get this flash drive running again!!

Please help me fix this!

Advertisement

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,425 posts
Hi qwerty321
Check out the software available @ http://3d2f.com/tags...sh/disk/repair/
Hopefully one of the available programs there will resolve the issue but let us know either way.

qwerty321

qwerty321

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey phillpower2,

I did check the software there, and tried many too!! But majority of the software there were "Delete file recovery software."

I need a "RAW to NTFS/FAT32 formatting software!" I did find one made by toshiba, but it was targeted to its SD card but not to USB flash drives :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,425 posts
Hi qwerty321
Try a different approach then, with the drive plugged in Right Click on my computer and then select Manage, in the Computer Management window click on the Disk Management option, Right Click on your thumb drive then choose Format.
I`m not sure if this will help but it is worth a try if the above option doesn`t work
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

qwerty321

qwerty321

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello phillpower2,

I forgot the mention that i have also tried the above mentioned "Disk Management Option". It says my device is right protected :)

Maybe I should try the "Puppy Linux" method! But I have a question first. Do I have to let go my windows XP and install this Puppy Linux? Or does this puppy linux boots only as long as i have its CD inserted??

Thanks for the reply!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,425 posts

Do I have to let go my windows XP and install this Puppy Linux?

No.

Or does this puppy linux boots only as long as i have its CD inserted??

As long as you have changed the boot sequence as instructed in the tutorial.

EDIT: I know you have tried some software but what about this http://en.kioskea.ne...vel-format-tool

Edited by phillpower2, 13 June 2011 - 03:33 PM.

qwerty321

qwerty321

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey Thanks for the link!

A low level formatting tool like this one is what I was looking for! I tried formatting it with the software, however the formatting was not possible :)
It says "Format error occurred at offset ............. (fill the ...... with different numbers)" Countless times :unsure:
The HP Low Level Format Software could not format it too :yes:

Im downloading Puppy Linux as we speak. Will be away for a day for two. Will come back then for further assistance!!

Thanks for the time!!
Cheers

Edited by qwerty321, 13 June 2011 - 04:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,425 posts
No worries, when you are ready :)

qwerty321

qwerty321

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey phillpower2 ,

Im back but I have to go abroad for around 3 weeks. We shall try with puppy linux after I get back. Sorry for the delay. Thanks a ton for helping me out!

Cheers!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,425 posts
Thanks for the update qwerty321 enjoy your trip :)

grade90

grade90

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i also have the same problem as u..please reply this asap

populartity

populartity

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You need a couple of steps to get over your problem
Step1. You need firstly remove the write protection of your USB. As usual, there is a button on the USB to lock or unlock the write protection. If there is not, you need read this web and remove it step by step:
iCare Data Recovery Free and Recuva can be the good ones of them, they are both professional and efficient i restoring your data and they are both free.

step3. You need format your USB to make it work well again as before after your restoring, which is the only way to help you out as your USB is told to be unformatted.
I hope everything will be all right!

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured