Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad video card, or bad motherboard? Need help diagnosing

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
It appears that either your MB has no sensors or that they are not working :)
Without being able to rule out the PSU as the potential cause of the previous
issue it would be unwise for me to suggest you try a new add on video card!
How has the computer been running?

Advertisements

bl4derunr

bl4derunr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Weirdly, it's been just fine since the removal of the prior video card. I also did a few things in PhotoShop, surfed a lot, emailed, and played an older game for good measure (albeit very slowly owing to the old onboard video). No issues at all, at least so far. The computer has also been on all day today, and Speedfan has been running in its extremely limited state the whole time. Core holding steady at 42C, HD0 at 40. Could this be the result of bad/corrupted/deleted drivers, or could it *only* be a HW cause?

Oh yes, there was one thing. The POST process (sorry) only took a long time when I had a thumb drive inserted for booting MemTest -- which I haven't tried again, btw. Without a thumb drive inserted, POST starts up fairly quickly.

Edited by bl4derunr, 14 June 2011 - 07:00 PM.

bl4derunr

bl4derunr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
If it helps, I drilled down a bit in the Speccy readings for CPU and MB (attached).

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Thanks for the readings, they don`t however provide any information on your voltages or fan speeds unfortunately.
If you are happy with the performance of the onboard video chip then great but if you are not and would like to go back to an add on video card consider these 2 points before purchasing 1: The card will need to be the low profile type due to the smaller size of the Dell Dimension DIMC521 case and 2: Most modern add on video cards require a PSU capable of a minimum 300W - 350W output or more so you may have to upgrade your PSU also.

bl4derunr

bl4derunr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, if I'm being honest with myself, I'd still like an add-on video card, but I don't need to break the bank on it.

Photoshop, web, email, documentation, and games are 99% of what the machine was used for.
And, to be honest, for the games, it's high time I moved to a console system anyway.

Would you have any recommendations out of this list that are a few steps above what I had before? (Radeon X1300 Pro). The slimmer profile was something I hadn't considered. Anything in particular I should watch out for? I think this time around, something with its own onboard fan instead of a heatsink is a must, in addition to the simple maintenance steps you've already outlined for me.

bl4derunr

bl4derunr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
For instance, this one looks fairly cheap, and looks like a smaller profile, but I can't tell whether it will exactly fit or not now that you've alerted me to that particular data point...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Your PSU is not powerful enough for the card you have asked about, here is a link to the same card but a different brand http://www.newegg.co...0-147-_-Product
This http://www.newegg.co...4-121-_-Product is a better and cheaper option but again your PSU may not be powerful enough for it.

bl4derunr

bl4derunr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Sorry to take up more of your time, phillpower2 -- it definitely looks like PSUs are fairly cheap, at least in the 400W range. I'm willing to get a $70-90 video card plus a compatible power supply if it will extend the life of the machine by at least a few more years. Are there any in particular that you would recommend for a low-profile card in the 400W range?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
No worries my friend, I am fortunate enough to be able to offer my assistance :)
GFX card: http://www.newegg.co...2-874-_-Product
PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139027 please do not under estimate the importance of having over and above the minimum of the stated GFX card power requirements.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
My two cents:

Make sure you measure out the space in your tower for the new PSU. The current PSU has 1) a funky shape and 2) cables coming out the side so that all the cables fit in. With this new PSU, is there going to be space for the cables coming out the back of the PSU and the cables coming out of your CD drive? Is your CD drive even going to fit? Use a ruler... Posted Image

Advertisements