Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google redirect - TDSSKiller won't run

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Click Start then right click the My Computer then choose Properties.
Select the Advanced tab and then click Environment Variables.
At the System variables panel, choose Path then click the Edit button.
Copy and paste contents of the Variable value in your next reply.

Advertisements

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\iZotope\Runtimes;C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.00\lib;C:\Program Files\LProf\bin;C:\Program Files\Universal Extractor;C:\Program Files\Universal Extractor\bin;C:\Program Files\QuickTime Alternative\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix;C:\Program Files\OpenLibraries\bin

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Now using Windows Explorer go into C:\windows\system32 folder and check if file net.exe is there.

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It's there.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well... That's really strange. So if you type in command prompt window only net you get that this is not recognized as an internal or external command?

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My fault. I had launched CP by typing 'command prompt' in the 'run' box instead of using the shortcut, cause that didn't work. My 'all programs' shortcuts are somehow corrupted. I stopped using them some time ago. Is there a need to correct this?
Now I launched CP by typing 'cmd' in the 'run' box and it worked. I'll set WU to update the next full hour and report back later.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please do these steps as instructed here.

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry I should have been more precise. I followed these steps already. I set WU to update at 6 PM. Anything I can do to test WU except waiting till 6 pm? Should I try the webservice update?

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
WU tried to update but it still didn't succeed. Here's the .log file. Attached File  WindowsUpdate3.zip   86.17KB   91 downloads

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just did the CP steps again and took a screenshot that might be helpful to you.ScreenshotCP.gif

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

Well... This is nothing special. It's just a security update for .NET Framework 4 and many times there are problems with these updates.

Did you tried to update it through Windows Update here: http://update.micros...icrosoftupdate/ ?

If you still can't install it try the following:

Download Dotnetfx cleanup tool from here to your desktop.
Unzip it and run tool.
Select to remove .NET Framework 4 (there is a drop window asking which .NET Framework you wish to remove, make sure you select .NET Framework 4).
This tool will safely remove client profile part of .NET Framework 4. You will not be able to remove it by using add/remove programmes as normal because it has become corrupt.
Once tool has removed files restart computer and check windows update. You should find .NET Framework 4 client profile offered as an update(KB982670).
Download and install this.
Restart computer again and run windows update again.
You should be offered the problem KB2446708 as a high priority update.
Install this and it should be fine, you shouldn't see it reappear again as before.

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Things are looking brighter again. The Windows Update internet service is working again now. PSI tells me that everything's up-to-date. I don't know whether Automatic Update works. Anyway I can check if it does?

Do I need to worry about the corrupt start menu / all programs shortcuts? When I click on any of them Spybot S&D scans the shortcut, finds nothing and that's it. Same with Quick Launch icons. I got used to not using them, so unless there's some thread I might choose to ignore the issue altogether.

Thanks for helping.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

Anyway I can check if it does?

You will see sooner or later. But it's not such a big deal if you occasionally check for updates manually.

Do I need to worry about the corrupt start menu / all programs shortcuts?

How are you using your computer then? :)

Please delete all non-working shortcuts in Start menu and follow the steps below:

Restore Accessories Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Ensure that the following check boxes are checked (as seen in this image below):

Posted Image

Once they are, click on the Restore button.

Restore Admin Tools Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Click on the Restore Administrative Tools Items button.

As seen in this image below:

Posted Image

Programs Shortcuts

This next one will produce the necessary shortcut links which you can cut and paste into the start menu folder Attached File  Repair.zip   896bytes   88 downloads
To use this download the attached zip file
Extract the repair.vbs file to your desktop
Run the repair.vbs
It will ask for a folder name call it recovery
The tool will let you know when it is finished
On the desktop will be a recovery folder
Open the folder
Cut and Paste the links that you want to C:\documents and settings\your name\start menu
Posted Image
Posted Image

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I followed your procedure, but nothing changed about the behaviour of the start menu / all programs and quick launch short cuts. The newly created behave just like the old ones did: Spybot S&D shows up, finds nothing and that's it.

After the shortcut trouble started I made links to the 20 or so most frequently used programs in the start menu, but not in the all programs folder. These work just fine. I look up the less frequently used programs in the program files folder. I use FreeCommander and created some custom short cuts there. The most trouble has been making the short cuts and looking up the ways to access the items in the accessoires folder. I learned to look up stuff to type in the 'run' box to open them. Except for that inconvinience, the only usability issue is that the startup folder doesn't work, so psi tray won't run at startup.

JoeDownes

JoeDownes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just restarted after the last updates and now the Windows Firewall is turned off and can't be turned on 'due to an unidentified problem'. Any suggestions?
Edit: Grrrr. or Yeah. False Alarm. The Firewall is working again. You can ignore this last comment.

Edited by JoeDownes, 26 June 2011 - 04:17 PM.