Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! My Hard drive cannot be detected

• Please log in to reply

Kanekelly94

Kanekelly94

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The Hard drive i've got is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb
ive bought this brand new and never been used but i have no disk with it or instuctions
ive tryed everything i can think oh.

i want to use this hard drive as a master and then format the 80gb and use that for back ups

im upgrading from a 80gb hard drive with windows xp on. and the hard drive is working perfect. i can swap the hard drive and it will boot up again.

- ive fixed all the hard drive into position and attached all the cables. ive tryed switched the data cable to the other socket.

- when i boot up the system i can hear the hard drive turning round and kicking up.

- i press f2 and go into setup and went to drives and went to sata 0
it says it is there and it gets me the model code "ST3500418AS" and it tells me its got 3gbs as well but it say on capacity "unidentified"

Ok What ive done is ive reset all settings to factory setup

ive downloaded the newest firmware and ran it though a cd but it cant find a hard drive.

ive downloaded "seatool" but that cant find the drive

ive gone thorugh knoppix's and that cant find anything.

ive tryed installing windows xp but that fails

ive tryed installing vista and that doesnt find any hard drives

ive downloaded disc wizard but that was no lucky either.

ive tryed taking out the cmos battery to reset the bios but that had no effect.

i am offically STUCK!! HELP!!!

(ive orded a new data cable and im going to try and find it though xp http://blog.paulgu.c...tive-partition/ )

Seagate have been no help at all along with dell

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hi Kanekelly94 :)

The Hard drive i've got is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb

IDE or SATA type of HDD?

i want to use this hard drive as a master and then format the 80gb and use that for back ups

You need to format and then partition the new HDD first before this will work,see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348
To protect the data on your present HDD disconnect it from the computer and connect the new HDD as the Master/Main drive before you do the format and partition on it.
FYI the HDD needs to be formatted etc before use so that it can be allocated a drive letter.

Kanekelly94

Kanekelly94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi thanks that did not work :S still didnt find anything
the hard drive is a sata drive

is there any good format and partition disk iso. so i can boot it through a disk?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought but you may want to change the properties of the SATA controller to IDE in the bios

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You could try Puppy Linux and see if that detects the drive, see the attached link;
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Kanekelly94

Kanekelly94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks But still no luck at all.

ive bought a new data cable for my old hard drive but when i start the computer up using the 80gb hard drive with windows xp on it now has a blue screen with error
so i put the xp disc in and formated the hard drive and the computer restarted dono why and now the computer wont detect both hard drive the old one and the new one

bios still detect them both
cant work this out

Kanekelly94

Kanekelly94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How Would i be able to do this?

Kanekelly94

Kanekelly94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just a thought but you may want to change the properties of the SATA controller to IDE in the bios

How could i do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to enter the bios and find the sata controllers. There you will find the emulation settings.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is it a SATA II or SATA III because you can't have a 3gb/sec cable running for a SATA III HDD I found this out earlier after 12 hours of trial and error my 1 TB hard drive wasn't showing either until i put in a 6gb/sec sata cable and taking out the 3gb/sec never even knew there was a difference :unsure:.

You can find out how fast the cable is usually by reading the side of the cable there is words that will tell you how fast it can transfer. Also look in your motherboard box contents seeing if you got sata 2's or 3's with it because it might not have came with some. I just went on newegg.ca and searched your HDD it says it runs on 6gb/sec.

Edit:
Also make sure its in a sata 6gb/s port on your motherboard. :)

Edited by Epsilon, 26 June 2011 - 11:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 16 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Colin McCormack

Colin McCormack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My hard drive was dead. wouldn't spin up. tried it in a few external enclosures. i ended up getting a new PCB board from http://www.onepcbsolution.com/ and now it works like a charm!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Thank you for the update and for letting us know the solution so that it may help others in the future :)