I was able to use Task Manager to hault them and a thumb drive to allow Malwarebytes to clean them up
Unfortunately, one of the things the trojans attacked was the wireless and broadcom ethernet card software making internet access impossible. Reinstalling drivers did not work. Running XP reinstall upgrade failed bricking the operating system - I wanted to keep her system intact but dll's were damaged. I new installed windows without reformatting the drive as my sis has no backup for the machine - hoping I can recover the data.
1. I suspect I have not eliminated everything - even though MalwareBytes shows it is clean.
2. What are the chances of me being correct?
3. Any thoughts of how to make her system look like it did before I reinstalled and wiped out the registry? I am sure she can recover her programs; but, I am hoping someone has a holy grail of sorts.
4. What other steps would you suggest to make sure the system is clean?
5. She had MacAfee installed. I would like to change her over to Microsoft System Essentials. Any thoughts about whether I need to use a removal tool or just delete the program directory, since the registry is already re-written?
Thanks in advance