Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

enabling native sata support after installing windows XP

• Please log in to reply

bubblleboi

bubblleboi

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey guys,

I want to re-enable native sata support in my BIOS.

I disabled native sata support on my laptop which came pre-installed with XP on and reformatted and installed a fresh XP because my hard drive wasn't being recognized when trying to do a clean install.

Now that I have XP on and everything going, I'd like to re-enable my sata support. It IS possible because my laptop had xp installed with sata support on when I purchased it, is that correct?

I'm not tech savvy so any help in the form of a step by step guide would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance,
bubb

P.S. I've tried to download and install the intel matrix storage driver from the HP website and in the process of executing the file, it tells me: "incompatible hardware. This software is not supported on this chipset. Please select 'yes' to view the readme file for a list of supported products. refer to section 2 titled 'system requirements'".

I don't see why it's not supported if it was enabled and working perfectly fine when i bought the laptop!

Edited by bubblleboi, 12 June 2011 - 01:01 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you want to enable SATA Native Mode on your computer AFTER installing Windows XP, then read on. It's a bit of a long read because of step-by-step instructions, but worth it.

I did this on a Compaq nx9420, it seems like the basic strategy should work on other systems.

For whatever reason, you may have installed Windows XP on your new laptop with SATA Native Mode disabled in the BIOS. Once XP is installed, enabling it in the BIOS will result in a BSOD upon loading Windows because XP doesn't have the correct drivers.

I read that enabling SATA native mode will give you a slight performance inrease and slightly increased battery life, so it seems worthwhile to me

Here's how I did it on my nx9420 running Windows XP (32 Bit version):

- Download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software from HP's website, it is currently SP32492 - ENSURE YOU DOWNLOAD the correct one for your computer - this guidance is only a general example

- Run it, by default it will save some files to C:\swsetup\SP32492 before it runs setup and tells you that the software is not supported on your chipset

- Now open up a command prompt, go to C:\swsetup\SP32492\ and run the following command to extract the CAB files:

setup -A -P C:\swsetup\SP32492\

- Accept the license agreement, it extracts some files. The files you're interested in are now at C:\swsetup\SP32492\Driver\ and include the following:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
TXTSSETUP.OEM

- Now go to Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you should see: Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - ENSURE HERE VERY CAREFULLY that you select the correct controller from the list - otherwise you will have severe problems

- Right-Click on that and select Update Driver
- Say no to connecting to Windows Update to search, hit Next
- Select Install fro a list or specific location (Advanced), hit Next
- Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install", hit Next
- Select Have Disk
- Browse to C:\swsetup\SP32492\Driver and highlight the iastor.inf file, hit Open
- Select OK
- Now you should have a list of controllers, for the Compaq nx9420 choose Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller, hit Next
- You'll get warned that installing the device driver is not recommended, click Yes to continue installing
- Click Finish
- Click Yes to restart your computer

When your computer boots up, you need to hit F10 to enter the BIOS. Change SATA Native Mode to Enabled, save changes and exit.

After you log into Windows, your computer will find the "new" hardware. Wait until you get the popup message to restart your computer, say Yes to restart one last time.

THIS COPY and PASTE from the HP Technical library provides ONLY the general example of how to proceed.

Before you proceed ensure you establish a restore point, if you get this worng the computer will Blue Screen, failing to boot.
Very likely, the only solution will then be to access recovery console from the CD and rstore to the point created.
See these links for further information
http://mytechweblog....e-after-xp.html

http://forums11.itrc...hreadId=1057792

http://h30499.www3.h.../695231/page/12

bubblleboi

bubblleboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

My only problem now is that I do not know EXACTLY which controller to select for an HP Pavillion dv2050us for the "Now you should have a list of controllers, for the Compaq nx9420 choose Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller, hit Next" step.

I read somewhere that it is very very very very very important to select the right controller and I am stuck on this step!

Anyone know which controller is used for HP Pavillion dv2050us?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I read somewhere that it is very very very very very important to select the right controller and I am stuck on this step!

Perhaps you read it on my post

ENSURE HERE VERY CAREFULLY that you select the correct controller from the list - otherwise you will have severe problems

Here is the link to your download from the HP site
http://h10025.www1.h...192897&sw_lang=

Proceed with that driver and if you have this listed on the controllers use this one
Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller
If you do not have that listed post which you have

whilst there you may as well have this one as well as this will enable you to install on SATA in the future - if necessary
http://h10025.www1.h...192897&sw_lang=

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 June 2011 - 06:00 AM.