If you want to enable SATA Native Mode on your computer AFTER installing Windows XP, then read on. It's a bit of a long read because of step-by-step instructions, but worth it.
I did this on a Compaq nx9420, it seems like the basic strategy should work on other systems.
For whatever reason, you may have installed Windows XP on your new laptop with SATA Native Mode disabled in the BIOS. Once XP is installed, enabling it in the BIOS will result in a BSOD upon loading Windows because XP doesn't have the correct drivers.
I read that enabling SATA native mode will give you a slight performance inrease and slightly increased battery life, so it seems worthwhile to me
Here's how I did it on my nx9420 running Windows XP (32 Bit version):
- Download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software from HP's website, it is currently SP32492 - ENSURE YOU DOWNLOAD the correct one for your computer - this guidance is only a general example
- Run it, by default it will save some files to C:\swsetup\SP32492 before it runs setup and tells you that the software is not supported on your chipset
- Now open up a command prompt, go to C:\swsetup\SP32492\ and run the following command to extract the CAB files:
setup -A -P C:\swsetup\SP32492\
- Accept the license agreement, it extracts some files. The files you're interested in are now at C:\swsetup\SP32492\Driver\ and include the following:
- Now go to Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you should see: Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - ENSURE HERE VERY CAREFULLY that you select the correct controller from the list - otherwise you will have severe problems
- Right-Click on that and select Update Driver
- Say no to connecting to Windows Update to search, hit Next
- Select Install fro a list or specific location (Advanced), hit Next
- Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install", hit Next
- Select Have Disk
- Browse to C:\swsetup\SP32492\Driver and highlight the iastor.inf file, hit Open
- Select OK
- Now you should have a list of controllers, for the Compaq nx9420 choose Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller, hit Next
- You'll get warned that installing the device driver is not recommended, click Yes to continue installing
- Click Finish
- Click Yes to restart your computer
When your computer boots up, you need to hit F10 to enter the BIOS. Change SATA Native Mode to Enabled, save changes and exit.
After you log into Windows, your computer will find the "new" hardware. Wait until you get the popup message to restart your computer, say Yes to restart one last time.THIS COPY and PASTE from the HP Technical library provides ONLY the general example of how to proceed.
Before you proceed ensure you establish a restore point, if you get this worng the computer will Blue Screen, failing to boot.
Very likely, the only solution will then be to access recovery console from the CD and rstore to the point created.
See these links for further informationhttp://mytechweblog....e-after-xp.htmlhttp://forums11.itrc...hreadId=1057792http://h30499.www3.h.../695231/page/12