Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer laptop screen's messed up

• Please log in to reply

Doddi

Doddi

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
I'm having this issue on a Acer aspire 1680: a couple of days ago it started showing a messed up screen for no apparent reason:here's a screenshot and a photo
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'm sure that it isn't an LCD trouble because plugging the laptop to an external screen via VGA doesn't change a thing and swinging the lcd open and closed doesn't affect the matter; I noticed that pushing gently the keyboard and touchpad area makes those weird points move around a little bit.
I'm pretty sure it's caused by the lcd plug to the board, but: is there anybody who has experienced the same issue and would kindly give me an advice, before that I start the nightmare of disassembling the pc (which would be the first time I do that on this machine)?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi Doddi
Unfortunately no pictures have uploaded but from what you describe it could
be a bad screen ribbon as you suggest, other possibilities include a bad video
chip, heat, Ram, power or MB.
Heat is often the culprit as it affects all components a common symptom is the
display artifacting.
Is the display messed up as soon as you power up, has the inside of the laptop
ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust?
ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_1680/manual/Aspire%201410-1680-it.pdf

Doddi

Doddi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi philpower, thank you for your interest!
It is not my laptop but I doubt the dust ever has been cleared; right today I cleaned up the fan and the cooling area but no improvements...
I post the links:
http://imageshack.us...creenshotsr.jpg
http://imageshack.us.../image068rd.jpg
Sometimes the bios startup screen's messed up as well!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Checking the video ribbon next makes sense now then, full disassembly guide at the attached link should you not already have it, http://www.laptopgui...service-manual/

Doddi

Doddi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, thank you for the link! I'm gonna have a go as soon as possible

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Ok, good luck.

Doddi

Doddi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good news' disassembling the whole laptop is way easier than I thought; bad news is, although I've cleaned all up and undone/redone all the conncetions, it still shows those artifacts!I wonder what could I do next...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
If there is no visible signs of damage to the video ribbon it may suggest the actual
onboard video chip being bad and it has possibly suffered from overheating, the fact
that the issue is present on an external screen would also support this.
3 other things you could check but they may not be easy to do, 1: Remove and reseat
the CPU, 2: Try alternative Ram, 3: Try a replacement video ribbon.