Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card problems

• Please log in to reply

NotGeneric

NotGeneric

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently bought a GTX560 Ti for my fairly new Dell Stuido XPS 7100 in order to play SC2 with higher graphics capability. I removed the old graphics card which was an ATI HD5450 and installed the new one. Then I disabled the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter in the device manager so I could install the new one. I tried running the most recent driver (275.33-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql (1).exe) but it says the nvidia graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. I also deleted all my ATI stuff but before the VGA adapter showed up in device manager it said I had an ATI 4200 or something. Thats gone now so when I go into dxdiag it says my card is "n/a", but still when I run the nvidia driver it cant find compatible graphics hardware....Specs posted below:

Studio XPS 7100
x64-based PC
Graphics Card: AMD Phenom™II X6 1035T Processor, 2600 MHZ
Bios ver: Dell Inc. AO3, 5/27/2010, Default System BIOS
SMBIOS: 2.6
6144MB RAM
DirectX Version 11

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi NotGeneric :)
Try clearing the CMOS by removing the CR2032 battery on the MB, this will restore the MB to the factory default settings, I am suggesting this because when you fit an add on video card it should automatically overide the MBs onboard video chip unless this option has been disabled in the BIOS.
Now uninstall the NVIDIA and ATI drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find any NVIDIA or ATI Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from http://www.guru3d.co.../driversweeper/
(Click on the Download link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
• Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
• Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
• Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
• Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - ATI Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, install the newest drivers again.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the driver removal instructions

Edited by phillpower2, 12 June 2011 - 09:36 AM.