Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

driver upgrades

• Please log in to reply

clares

clares

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My PC scans are reporting several outdated drivers. All programs are moving at a snails pace, or working incorrectly. I recently lost my job and I am unable to purchase some of the well known programs that will correct and update my computer. Please advise, If there are free upgrade downloads available.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All the drivers you need are on the website of the people who made the computer, or failing that generic drivers may be available.
You should not need to pay for any drivers at all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi clares :)
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
Provide the above information and we will search for driver updates for you.
Worth mentioning is the fact that updating drivers needlessly is not a wise
move unless you have to, your slowness issues may be caused by something else
such as a limited amount of available storage space on your HDD, too many
programs running in the background and having more than one Anti Virus program
running at the same time a major cause of slowing down a computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Neil and phill are completely correct in their posts.
If you are not having any issues there is no need to update your hardware drivers.
Keeping your AV is a important step to system security as well as Java. OS should have the latest SP installed and your browser should be updated when available.
Supply the info Phill requested and both Neil and Phill are more then capable of assisting you with updating what needs to be.
Autoruns are usually the number one reason for system slow downs followed by overheating with the system itself.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

You should not need to pay for any drivers at all.

Agreed. If your computer was factory made, go to the maker's website. If the computer was custom made, you go to the component maker's website.

My PC scans are reporting several outdated drivers.

What scans? Something is scanning your computer, reporting outdated drivers, but wants you to pay to correct them? That sounds suspicious to me.

Have you scanned for malware?

And I join the chorus - we need to know specifics, including the version of Windows you are using.

clares

clares

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I appreciate your advice and response to my upgrade issues. My computer expertise, is only limited to normal uses and performing tasks that are working correctly. lol.
I have a Dell insperion 1300, 1.6ghz, Windows XP ver #3 (old). After reading your posts, I checked all of your suggestions mentioned. I'm a true novice and I still can not figure out what I need to do to fix the speed issues. I only have one antivirus program installed, I completed a virus scan and no problems there either.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I only have one antivirus program installed,

That's all you should have running at any one time. Which one? That said, it is generally recommended to have a second scanner on hand for supplemental scanning, such as Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM).

clares

clares

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running the current addition of AVG anti virus protection,and I'm in the process of running a malware scan.
Hopefully nothing serious has infected my laptop.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 26 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.