Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reset advent laptop

• Please log in to reply

StephenPeri

StephenPeri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help help help!

I have an advent laptop and over the months had completely failed to work so I decided I should finally reset it.

When I tried to reset it - through going to F8 and getting the menu displayed, I selected the first one which was required to bring me onto a further menu which would help me reset my laptop. However this failed and a login screen appeared which said "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".

So I then went through various websites and they all said I could use my recovery disk (which I do not have in possession) or could use a friends. So I then used my friends unaware that it was for a toshiba laptop. My laptop has now changed to toshiba settings and does not work with any of the drivers I have.

Some one please help!

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
contact support to order a set of recovery discs:

http://www.adventsup....php?f=6&t=1037

So what if the hard disk fails?
If the HD fails in warranty you will be supplied with recovery media by the TechGuys as part of the repair, if you have not already made them. The media will restore the recovery partition, followed by the factory settings on the PC as originally supplied.
If the machine is out of warranty, and you have not made recovery disks, you can order a set of CDs from PC World Sales - 0870 901 6000. You will be charged £30 for media, shipping and handling, so you need the SN and model of your PC and credit card handy when calling them.
If you have already made disks then you just boot the PC up from the recovery disk, after changing the hard drive.