Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how is this computer?

• Please log in to reply

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
sorry i ment to ask about this one but forgot to post the link.i just wanted to know how the processor was.but sorry for asking.

thanks for the hlp

Edited by mad_skillz, 03 July 2011 - 09:54 PM.

Advertisements

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
i just dont know as much as you do when it comes to this stuff.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
There's no harm in asking. The stupid question is the one NOT asked. And it is good you are researching BEFORE buying. I'm just an angry duck. Don't pay attention to any perceived "attitude" - you cannot "hear" the tone in my voice or see my facial expressions through type. I'm not really a duck! :) And I type "matter of fact" in "technical" discussions that may seem a bit "short" at times. Nothing intentional - sorry if it appeared that way.

I have a problem with ALL factory PCs as they are made for what the company thinks users want or need. Yeah, some say they will custom build, but the reality is, there are very few options so they build it for you, and the other 999,999 users "just like you". If you build your own, or find a reputable custom builder, you can customize the build for YOU, and your "unique" needs.

What you need to do is define your needs or the primary use of this computer (gaming, office/school work, internet surfing, running your business, graphics design, graphics editing, etc.). Then you need to set your budget. Then find (or build) the machine that most closely will meet your needs within that budget.

It is important to note that a self or custom built that starts with a good case will lay the path for years of upgrades. This allows the computer to "evolve" over time and stay relatively current. A good case will provide lots of large (120mm or larger) fan support, support multiple drives, provide easy access for cleaning, and support mounting of 1000s of different motherboards.

A factory built computer case is often designed to support only what that computer line originally came with. Entry-level computers often use "tines" (stamped out fingers of the case's sheet metal) that, during assembly are used to "clamp" the motherboard into place instead of using standard motherboard mounting screws. These tines typically break when bent more than a couple times making properly mounting and securing a replacement or upgraded motherboard impossible. And they likely will not support boards that use different or additional mounting hole locations.

In other words, factory built computers typically need to be retired and replaced when they not longer meet the user's demands. Custom computers, on the other hand, typically cost more upfront, but can be incrementally updated to stay current for much longer - thus leveling out, or even making the costs over the long run, cheaper.

It is perfectly fine if building your own is not something you are interested in. But most towns have small shops that will custom build one for you - either selecting the parts for you, or help you select the parts. As the OEM supplier of Windows, that shop will be required to provide 1 year support for Windows. If you build your own, you provide the support. A shop is one contact for all support. Build your own, you have to contact the individual makers (motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc.) yourself - after you figure which one to call (perhaps with the help of a good tech support forum).

Note that reliability is not really an issue. The big makers buy all their motherboards, RAM, graphics, drives, etc. from the same makers as custom builders.

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
deleted

Edited by mad_skillz, 06 July 2011 - 12:41 AM.

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
http://www.qvc.com/q...HD-1GB-Graphics

http://www.staples.c.../product_329408

http://www.staples.c.../product_329412

out of these 3 computers.what one would be better?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

out of these 3 computers.what one would be better?

Please see my previous answer to same question and above where I said,

What you need to do is define your needs or the primary use of this computer (gaming, office/school work, internet surfing, running your business, graphics design, graphics editing, etc.). Then you need to set your budget. Then find (or build) the machine that most closely will meet your needs within that budget.

Sorry, but I can't help you more on this.

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Edited by mad_skillz, 06 July 2011 - 06:46 PM.