Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IE favorites...

• Please log in to reply

TimDog

TimDog

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey...

It seems that all of my IE favorites have been converted into SHDOCVW files.
I just noticed this today and haven't done anything different to my computer than I would any other day. Even when I add a new favorite to IE it creates it as an SHDOCVW file. It seems that they are not URL's anymore. And I can't even edit the URL info in the file anymore.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get my URL's back for my favorites. I've done a Spyware scan and it came up with a few tracking cookies in my browser cache which is pretty normal but nothing else.

:tazz:

Thanks in advance!
TimDog.

Advertisements

TimDog

TimDog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nobody can help me with this?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Download Firefox, install and then import all of your bookmarks to firefox when asked if you want to import during the install process. Then hide IE somewhere remote on your system and never use it again.

Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Hey...

It seems that all of my IE favorites have been converted into SHDOCVW files.
I just noticed this today and haven't done anything different to my computer than I would any other day. Even when I add a new favorite to IE it creates it as an SHDOCVW file. It seems that they are not URL's anymore. And I can't even edit the URL info in the file anymore.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get my URL's back for my favorites. I've done a Spyware scan and it came up with a few tracking cookies in my browser cache which is pretty normal but nothing else.

:tazz:

Thanks in advance!
TimDog.

View Post

Hi tim,

One of our brightest, hardest working techs (Starhawk) saw this and asked me to take a look because it was a new one for him

I must confess it is a new one for me, too ;) as I never saw that one before eitehr, but in a weird sort of way, it makes sense.

Shdocvw.dll is a dynamic link library that controls a lot of file associations in the registry for graphics, URL and HTML behavior, so.....

let's try the simple approach

Start > run
regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll
enter

Reboot...does that work?

TimDog

TimDog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi tim,

One of our brightest, hardest working techs (Starhawk) saw this and asked me to take a look because it was a new one for him

I must confess it is a new one for me, too ;) as I never saw that one before eitehr, but in a weird sort of way, it makes sense.

Shdocvw.dll is a dynamic link library that controls a lot of file associations in the registry for graphics, URL and HTML behavior, so.....

let's try the simple approach

Start > run
regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll
enter

Reboot...does that work?

View Post

Yes it did...!!! :tazz:

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers!