Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU/ Stop and go on start up (new build)

• Please log in to reply

Red2112

Red2112

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings folks,

New here and hope I can get some help on a new build. I just bought a Asus V7-P5G41E Barebone case, Intel E5700 CPU, Seagate 250GB SATA HDD and 2GB of Kingston DDR3 ram.

The Asus V7 came with built in motherboard so all conections from motherboard to PSU came made from factory. I installed the CPU and fan, hooked the 4pin fan conector to the motherboard and the SATA and power cables to the HDD and to the motherboard. I also hooked up my old LG CDRW drive. There realy wasent much to connect so thats why Iam so puzzeld.

On start-up the fan spins for a few seconds then the whole system shuts down and starts up again. When it finaly starts up on the second start, HDD runs aswell as the CDRW but no monitor or anything else. No beeps, no screen! I have to disconect the power cord in order to shut down the computer. The PSU is set to 230v which is correct here.

From close inspection of the motherboard, I see a jumper labled(CLRTC) normal or clear RTC, the rest of jumpers are 5v or 5v5b jumpers.

I pulled the ram out and no beeps either, so I would guess its a PSU or motherboard problem. Any help would be much welcome! Thank you for reading.

Care,
Red

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Red2112 :)
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement MB battery.
Good luck, let us know how it goes or if we can help at all.

Red2112

Red2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi PP,

Thanks so much for your welcome and help!

I must add that I have no Idea how to short the 2 pins on the MB header. I have a 4pin socket and a 24pin socket coming from/to the MB and PSU. I know what you mean by "short", but in the case its my 4pin socket, how do I short 2 pins if all 4 are in the MB socket? Regarding the bios jumper, I have no Idea where that one is on my MB.

Sorry for the lack of know-how, but the Asus V7 came with a poor manual with no schematics or board layout. Thanks again for your help Phil!

Best,
Red

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I must add that I have no Idea how to short the 2 pins on the MB header.

These pins connect the power on switch at the front of your case to the MB and are nothing to do with the 4 or 24 pin connections, when you short these 2 pins out it is as if you are pressing the on button.

Regarding the bios jumper

This is the same as

From close inspection of the motherboard, I see a jumper labled(CLRTC) normal or clear RTC

The jumper must be in the normal position before you power up but can you whilst there is no power connected move the jumper to the clear position for a few moments and then replace it in the normal position.
I sympathise with you for having being provided with such poor documentation and we will do our best to walk you through this.
1 question I need to ask is did you use thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5 between the CPU and heatsink, also applying too much can be as bad as not applying enough, see the informative tutorial provided by Digerati @ http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ also see the attached picture.
The lack of error beeps when the Ram is removed does suggest a power or MB issue and is the reason why doing the bare-bones set-up outside of the case.
User manual available @ http://uk.asus.com/B...5G41E/#download see page 50, section 9 for details of the front panel to MB connections.

Red2112

Red2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks!

Ok, gotcha on the 2pin power-up, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was about to paste a screwdriver head on the bottom of the solder joints on two of the 4pin socket :unsure:

Regarding the thermal past, its been some time since I put up my first PC but in this case, I would guess the fan included came with some sort of built in paste because I did remove the fan to check if the CPU was misplaced and saw a paste like substance on the top of the CPU. If I didnt read wrong on the net and on the CPU manual, there seems to be things like this now days :) Things do change fast, will have hamburgers coming out of paste tube soon!

As for the Bios jumper, gotcha on that too. Its set to normal. Iīll try all this tonight when I get home. Thanks Phil, I can do the barebone test now. Iīll get back to you once done, again thanks so much!

Care,
Red

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries when you are ready.

Red2112

Red2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

No worries when you are ready.

Hi,

Well after all I decided to take the rig to the local shop I bought it since its all under warranty. I just picked it up now and the tech told me it was a bad CPU! He said he didnt get much like that, but any how. The big deal now is to know if the CPU he installed is really new or not, as he didnt ask me to give him back the original package wraping of the CPU.

Anyway, if you could guide me through a basic Bios set-up and refresh my old memory that would be nice. Thanks Phil

Care
Red

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Red
To set your time and date etc in the BIOS follow the steps below;
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS area, once you have set the time and date do the following;
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD/DVD drive.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings and allow you to install your OS.
Is it all coming back to you now :)

Red2112

Red2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Is it all coming back to you now :unsure:

Hi Phil,

Yes, thanks! :)

Till that point aim cool among other things. Itīs just that since things have advanced since the days I built my first rig, I thought I would start off with a bit more info, like fan and CPU temp. settings. I also notice the CPU works in a 64bit arc. and I bet alot more stuff Iam missing that maybe I should take into acount now that aim at it.

Regarding a 64bit OS, I only have XP Home so 64bit is out for me, but just thought I would ask.

Sound card amd video card are both part of the MB and a CD is included with the MB, so not much stress with that I hope.

Iam dumping stuff from my old PC on DVD for now, so Iīll see what you have to say before I give the new rig itīs first run. Besides that, I only have one CDR drive so I can only use it in one machine at a time and I want to save stuff before I clean my old rig.

Best,
Red

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
For the fan and CPU settings stick with the MBs default settings and you will be fine.
For the OS I would stick with what you have got for now but think about upgrading to W7 64bit in the future ( I will myself eventually :) )
I will not be able to check back until Saturday now so hopefully you will be good to go by then.
Good luck.

Red2112

Red2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

For the fan and CPU settings stick with the MBs default settings and you will be fine.
For the OS I would stick with what you have got for now but think about upgrading to W7 64bit in the future ( I will myself eventually :) )
I will not be able to check back until Saturday now so hopefully you will be good to go by then.
Good luck.

Hi Phill,

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I had the Idea of upgrading to 64bit in the future too, but the thing is, is that I have another rig (home studio/music production) that will need the same upgrade and that spellīs more "dinero" :yes: Yes, they got us by the ()() with all this soft stuff.

Any how, enjoy your weekend if you can and thanks so much for your help Phill! Hope you get good weather up there this week! Iīll post back when I have her running :unsure: (sometime this weekend)

Care,
Mike

Red2112

Red2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Phill,

All good here! Machine up and running right now. Glad to have a faster PC, its been a 5 year wait! Thanks very much for you help and kind attention Phill!

Care,
Red

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Great update news Red, I am pleased that you are happy with your computers performance :yes: :)
Thank you for choosing GTG and for allowing me to assist you :) :unsure: