Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Start All of A Sudden.. startup repair

• Please log in to reply

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
okay i'm running windows 7 64 bit software on my desktop. the PC is 100% clean of malware and/or viruses, there's no junk laying around on the computer and i'm pretty sure of this because i have 24/7 protection with MSE and i keep my computer clean (ccleaner and such). basically, my pc was running nice and smooth.

all of a sudden the computer just shut of on me, restarted itself, then when it came to the login screen, before the fields could pop up start up repair came up. apparently it cannot fix the problem itself because i get the message "startup repair cannot fix this computer automatically"

i've tried to do a restore point, no luck, i did a memory test i the recovery options, no problems found, i inserted the install disk and even tried to repair that way, no luck.
i checked the wiring and everything seems to be fine,

did my hard drive just flop on me ??? :)

helps very much appreciated thank you !

Advertisements

fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
it does sound like a possible hard drive problem. What brand of computer do you have? If it happens to be a dell then you can run hard drive diagnostics from the built in utility partition. You can just hit f12 on boot then hit the hard drive diagnostic button. If it is not dell let me know what brand and we can figure out another way to run some diagnostics on it to verify that is the problem.

kws_divine

kws_divine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i built it myself, it still does have the hard drive diagnostics and ive tried it. it didnt work :)

fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

Download the one for DOS and burn it to a disk. Boot to the disk and run the full test on it. It will tell you if there are bad sectors on the drive. If there are bad sectors then it is a bad drive for sure. It will take a couple of hours to run the full test depending on your drive size.