Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DLL errors and others

• Please log in to reply

diesel7778

diesel7778

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i seem to be having alot of errors with my pc at the moment. the 1st of which is an error message after start up just before log in, which is "error loading powrprof.dll" and something abut cannot find in library, after i log in i get this same error message again. The next error message is "A required .dll file, WINSPOOL.DRV, was not found". I click ok, and none of applications seem to start such a msn messenger and webcam etc, windows media player will not play music etc. the next error message is during browsing the interent which is "Explorer has caused error in WMPDXM.DLL", it says explorer will now close and all that happends is my broser refreshes and my background goes into recovery mode. Could u please help as my computer is no nearly useless!, thanks

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi diesel7778

First lets deal with with powrprof.dll error.

I think maybe the error was

RUNDLL
Error loading powrprof.dll.
The system cannot find the file specified.

If so see this microsoft article, Error Loading Powrprof.dll.

This applies to 98 but I think it may be your problem. If the article is hard for you to follow or doesn't work post again.

It may resolve the other issue, let us know.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Just a thought, if you can not boot up normally and are not able to run System File Checker as Microsoft advises. Try Booting up in safe mode. And then following Microsoft's advice. See Here for how to boot up in Safe Mode. :tazz:

And when you manage to run SFC, you may as well extract WINSPOOL.DRV also. Winspool.drv belongs in the windows\system folder.

Edited by StarHawk, 30 May 2005 - 01:43 PM.

diesel7778

diesel7778

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for your help. However i've tried everything on your links and all the solutions and bascially my computer is a wreck but just until recently, it is nearly 5 years old maybe 4. so i was thinking to do a full hard disk wipe and re-install windowns me, done this before and it was great help. i've tried tis tonight but during the copying of files there is a sunwin error i think, and it aborts, so i was wondering if u could give me advice on wiping the disk then installing, as this has previously worked with a pro mate of mine who is no longer within touch! any solutions?

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi diesel7778

Sorry to hear you gave up so easy. I'm not sure I understand the sunwin error thing. ;) Anyway...

so i was wondering if u could give me advice on wiping the disk then installing,

Of course you need your installation CD. And a boot disk. see bootdisk.com for a boot disk.

It probably overkill, but Kill Disk would certainly wipe your Hard Drive clean. After you erase the Drive you will have to Fdisk and format it. See Doc's Fdisk Quide.
And to install Windows ME, see Installing Windows ME. You may also want to see Paul Thurrott's SuperSite For Windows. I always like more than one opinion. You may also look thru the advice given here on Installing Windows 98

Hope it all goes well for you. :tazz: