Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply

bmg83

bmg83

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My computer shows STOP:c000021a { Fatal System Error} The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

I have seen that in previous posts you give the link http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669 but it is recommended for advanced users. I am most definitely not an advanced user and have no idea how to follow those instructions. I am not even sure what a command prompt is. Can you really dumb this down for me? The laptop this problem is on is an inspiron 6000 using windows XP. I realy have no idea what started it because I was just using the latptop last night before I went to bed at 2am est with no problem. I woke up and turned it on and it kept showing this. I installed steadman's dictionary 2006 on it yesterday without any problems and I did try putting in a webcam that failed to find the driver itself, but that is all I can think of.

Thanks so much!!

Brianne

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The first thing to try is to boot to the Last know good configuration.

Boot up the computer.
As soon as you see the manufacturers logo or anything is written to the screen, start tapping the F8 key every second or so.
When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) then press ENTER.

See if that fixes the problem.

If not, do the F8 at boot again. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode then press ENTER.

Here is a good write up on Safe Mode: Starting Windows XP in Safe Mode

Once you get to the Desktop, use System Restore to go back to a date before this started happening as follows:

Click on Start
Click on All Programs
Click on Applications
Click on System Tools
Click on System Restore

Pick a date before the problem started, see if that fixes the problem.

Good instructions on System Restore here: How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Under More information, click on:

Click here to view or hide step-by-step instructions with pictures

Under How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, click on:

Click here to view or hide step-by-step instructions with pictures