Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STARTUP LAGS AT DESKTOP

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
When I restart my computor, (dell inspiron 530 4g ram, XP professional), it locks up with the desktop background picture showing, but no icons or toolbars showing, and this goes on for 5-7 minutes +/-. it seems like forever. It's been happening for awhile now, and I have no idea what programs installation may have triggered it. (maybe carbonite?)I use Microsoft Essentials, and it shows no infections. When it first happened, I thought it was locked up permenantly, but then I left it alone and eventually it continued the startup.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Edited by njlock, 15 June 2011 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
thanks for your help, I think I attached everything you asked for, if not let me know
thanks.
btw from a cold start, (i.e. computor off for a long period of time) it behaves the same as a hot restart.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitledspeedfan.JPG
  • untitledsensor.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first your voltages look right on where they should be so no problem with the PSU.
Everest report looks good also.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier"
+ "SpybotSD TeaTimer" This has been known to slow system down a lot and it can be replaced with another program that is not so resource hungry.

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
OK I did all this, and while I'm sure my system is healthier for it, I don't see much improvement. I actually time it, it takes 4 minutes from off > to when the icons start popping up on desktop, and the lag at desk top before the icons come up is close to 3 minute, not a huge number, but again it feels like forever when it's happening. does this seem out of the ordinary?
or am I making too much out of it?

what do you reccomend replacing spybot tea timer with?

Any recomendations for a good antispyware program?

+ "SpybotSD TeaTimer" This has been known to slow system down a lot and it can be replaced with another program that is not so resource hungry.

ps I saw lat night a message trying to direct me to another site/service? (post was deleted) was spam?

thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Any recomendations for a good antispyware program?

MSE will have everything in it so you can rid yourself of Spybot and be fine.
Any other AV you have can be uninstalled also.
I have

Avast
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes
Windows Firewll

We have been recommending MSE for awhile now and see very little issues with it and a lot less of a system resource hog unlike Spybot.

ps I saw lat night a message trying to direct me to another site/service? (post was deleted) was spam?

:)

does this seem out of the ordinary?
or am I making too much out of it?

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
this had no effect on the startup lag.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you disable Spybot Tea Timer?

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
yes, heres a sceen shot of the msconfig startup

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok I don't see anything for spybot but I do see 4 entries that have strange characters in it.
It looks like a possible infection may be in your system.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
so do you reccomend I start a new post under virus-spyware?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to make sure so we're not spinning in circles. I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
ok thanks, appreciate all your help! will work on this tomorrow