Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card Driver

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hello again, I’m back with a new problem that I would appreciate some advice on. Here is the situation.

I’m using an old dell T450 (Win xp pro) at another location with no internet access. It is used almost entirely for recording sermons via a wireless mic system. The computer has onboard sound through the motherboard and has no add on sound card.

It records fine but the voice cannot be heard through the computer speakers during recording for monitoring purposes when using the “mic in” plug. I plug the voice receiver into the “line in” plug and can hear the voice thru the speakers but nothing records.

I’m wondering if adding a sound card would allow recording and monitoring simultaneously.

I have tried two salvaged sound cards that came from working computers. It needs drivers but since I have no inst. disc and no internet connection to the computer, I’m at a loss. I see no markings on either sound card that I recognize as indicating a manufacturer.

I have thought about installing the sound card in a similar computer with the same OS here at home and let it find the driver but I don’t know how to find the driver on this computer to put it on a flash drive to transport to the other computer…not even sure this process would work.

My next alternative, which I’m trying to avoid, would be to bring the computer to internet access and give it a try.

Your comment on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and click on Drivers and Downloads.
Enter your service tag number and you should get a list of all the available original drivers for your system. If sound is built onboard then the driver should work under the Audio entry.
If sound is a add on card I would need to know what sound card you have.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok. Next time I go there I will get the ser. tag # and try this. I can't identify the manufacturer of either of the sound cards I have. Will report back later. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The model numbers on the cards may help to identify them if you can find that.