Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Music folders on external drive is grayed out!

• Please log in to reply

tyBox

tyBox

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
UGGGGGG! Music folders on external drive is grayed out! I can see and play the songs on my laptop but unable to see through my Virtual DJ application at all, it just doesn't show up. Show hidden files/folders but still no good.

Edited by tyBox, 15 June 2011 - 02:54 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you're saying you can get to the files via Windows Explorer and play them but not Virtual DJ?

If so that sounds like a VDJ problem. The one thread I found said the best way to fix this is to wipe the database and re-import, what ever that means :), I'm not a VDJ user.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Appreciate the response and yes in explorer i can play the files in xp all though they are grayed out. When I open virtual dj other files that are grayed out in explorer i can view however, not my music files. The files are not hidden either, could it be a permission issue maybe because why would they be grayed out?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It wouldn't be a permission problem since you can get to them via Windows Explorer.

Did you understand what was meant by "wipe the database and re-import" in VDJ? I don't but was hoping as a user that you would know what that meant.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Installed VirtualDJ to see what it looks like.

Are you looking for the music by expanding Computer at lower left then expanding the external drive?

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, that's how I'm looking at it (using my external drive). At one time it was on the left in explorer showing the folders and sub-folders. Now it's on the right in the main window of explorer grayed out, that's why I suspect that it's not the dj appl. If it were to display properly in explorer I'm almost certain it would display properly in virtual dj. I ran a scan on my external, didn't find anything.

Edited by tyBox, 16 June 2011 - 06:43 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you post a picture of what it looks like in Windows Explorer now please.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
how do I do that?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the music.

Press Alt+Print Screen. That will capture the active window.
Start MSPaint - Start then Run, type mspaint and press Enter.
Press Ctrl+v to paste the picture in to MS Paint.
Click File then Save as and save it to your Desktop.
Upload the picture to a site like Photobucket.com. You have to register but it's free.
If using Photobucket, click on Upload Now.
Click on Select Photos and Videos.
Navigate to your Desktop and double click on the picture you saved there. That will upload it to PhotoBucket.
Click on My Home in PhotoBucket.
Point to the image just uploaded. Under it will be various link formats. Click on the one labeled Direct Link.

Start a new reply here and click on the Insert Image icon (2nd to the right of the Smiley face).
Press Ctrl+v to paste in the link you copied in PhotoBucket.
Scroll down and click Preview Post to verify the image shows.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Posted Image]

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Those are hidden files.
Download and run this tool: