Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD stop code 7B when installing XP Pro SP3

• Please log in to reply

nyc224466

nyc224466

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello:

I just finished a new build with the following hardware:

Asus P8P67 (Rev B3) Mobo
Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
G Skill Rip Jaws DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 16GB (4 x 4GB) RAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 768MB video card
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 CPU cooler
WD Caviar Black SATA 2TB HDD
Lite-On BluRay burner
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze PSU

After completing the build, I attempted to install Win xp Pro, SP1 and got a BSOD w/ stop code 7B. I first tried to change the AHCI mode to IDE in the BIOS, but got the same stop code. Then, I did a bit of research and realized that the necessary drivers for the SATA controller needed to be loaded, but having no floppy drive, I saw that some tech support forums suggested that including the necessary drivers in a slipstreamed disc should work. I created a slipstreamed disc using Nlite with SP3 and ONLY the AHCI driver that the Asus mobo manual indicated should be used (Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller). Still got the same 7B stop code (full code below):

0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I know since ALL the components in my build are brand new, it's not likely that there is a virus; I also took the drive out of the box, installed it in another recent build that I did with an AMD chip (NO issues loading the same Win xp SP1 on a SATA HDD, w/o loading any extra drivers(!), and upgraded that box to Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit), quick-formatted it, and observed that Win 7 shows the drive as "healthy". I should point out that, in an effort to save some cash, I am using my old Win xp SP1 disc as the OS to upgrade to Win 7, since the upgrade on 3 machines is less than a single full version of Win 7. Not really sure what else to try, though I have seen some suggest that the RAM could be the culprit; would taking a stick or two out help?? Or would moving the sticks around, using different slots help?? Have also tried changing the SATA port from Intel 3GB/s to Intel 6GB/s at the suggestion of Asus (they said DON'T use the Marvell 6GB/s port for some reason...) Any thoughts/observations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kinda at the end of my rope here....Thanks!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Apart from the unlikely circumstance of the ram not properly clipped in the slot and also presuming of course that you have installed all the motherboard drivers, there are two things that spring immediatley to mind.
1. The NLite compilation is worng
2. Although you do not have a RAID array the BIOS is set for RAID array
. On start up, press F2 to enter BIOS

2. Expand the "Drives" section

3. Go to "SATA Operation"

4. Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
in addition to what Macboatmaster said I would also remove all the ram except 1 stick...( unplug from the wall )when you at least get windows installed then unplug from the wall and add the rest of the ram

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After following happrocks advice, there is one other possibility that comes to mind. When using NLite, you do NOT key F6

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 June 2011 - 06:35 PM.

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Apart from the unlikely circumstance of the ram not properly clipped in the slot and also presuming of course that you have installed all the motherboard drivers, there are two things that spring immediatley to mind.
1. The NLite compilation is worng
2. Although you do not have a RAID array the BIOS is set for RAID array
. On start up, press F2 to enter BIOS

2. Expand the "Drives" section

3. Go to "SATA Operation"

4. Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

Thanks for responding; If by the NLite compilation being "wrong", you mean that I put it together incorrectly, it's a possibility, but it seemed like a pretty intuitive process, and I did do a most minimal compilation - added SP3 to XP Pro, and added the AHCI drivers from the mobo utilities disk, no tweaks, deletions, etc. - I also did several iterations of it, using the NLite app to burn the ISO, a burn with Vista's burn utility (which failed to load XP setup...), as well as a burn with a stand-alone app. As for setting SATA operation in BIOS, I did set to "IDE Mode", as the only options in the BIOS are: "AHCI Mode", "IDE Mode", "Disabled" and "RAID Mode"; I've tried both IDE and AHCI mode when trying the slipstreamed (SP3) disc, as well as both modes with the original XP Pro SP1 disc - but never in RAID mode, since no RAID is set up (nor will be, since I have a 3TB NAS attached to my network).

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

in addition to what Macboatmaster said I would also remove all the ram except 1 stick...( unplug from the wall )when you at least get windows installed then unplug from the wall and add the rest of the ram

I will try that, as at this point I think that almost any thing could be the cause of this, but it also doesn't seem very likely, as all four sticks show up in the BIOS, along with their timings and voltages....but, I will try leaving just one stick in and see what happens...Thanks very much for your reply. I'll let you know what happens.

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

After following happrocks advice, there is one other possibility that comes to mind. When using NLite, you do NOT key F6

Thanks again for replying with thoughts...no, I didn't use F6 when trying to load XP from the NLite disc. I will try happyrock's suggestion to use one stick of ram and see what happens. Thanks again...I think that after a bit more effort, I may just bite the bullet and actually BUY a full version of Win 7 and be done with it...wouldn't be the most satisfying resolution, but perhaps the most expedient...

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Did you integrate the drivers as text mode or PNP? Image #11 here: http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I will try that, as at this point I think that almost any thing could be the cause of this, but it also doesn't seem very likely, as all four sticks show up in the BIOS, along with their timings and voltages....but, I will try leaving just one stick in and see what happens...Thanks very much for your reply. I'll let you know what happens.

I tried with one stick (4GB) of ram (in slot A2, per recommendation of mobo manual) - same result, BSoD, stop code 7B...

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Did you integrate the drivers as text mode or PNP? Image #11 here: http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html

Text mode.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Could it by any chance be this
Important: Many Intel chipset mainboards have Intel and JMicron S-ATA connectors and Marvell. Before you continue with your preparations, you should check, if the S-ATA cables of your hdd's are really connected to the Intel ports

Your board
Intel® P67(B3) chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller : *1
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
JMicron® JMB362 controller :
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red
1 x Power eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), green

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Pretty sure it's not that - initially had the hdd connected to the 3GB/s Intel SATA port (blue), but moved it to the 6GB/s Intel SATA port (grey), at the suggestion of Asus with the same result.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Having had another look I think I may be inclined to try it with another of the Intel downloads or indeed the Marvell or the Micron
Have you tried the latest Intel.
I read there were problems with XP install even with a Microsoft XP SP3 original installation beofre this latest revision to B3 version.
I know you have that but I see that ASUS have released a driver version just last month for the Intel one
Version 10.5.0.1026
Description Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 for Windows XP 32bit & 64bit.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) File Size 251,86 (MBytes) 2011.06.01 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China | Posted Image P2P
Version 10.1.0.1008
Description Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.1.0.1008 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL) File Size 250,33 (MBytes) 2011.03.17 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China | Posted Image P2P
Version 10.0.0.1046
Description Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.0.0.1046 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL) File Size 250,78 (MBytes) 2011.03.17 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China | Posted Image P2P
Version 1.17.58.2
Description JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver V1.17.58.2 Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) File Size 4,52 (MBytes) 2010.12.30 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China
Version 1.0.0.1051
Description Marvell 9128 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1051 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Marvell AHCI Driver for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit. File Size 2,42 (MBytes) 2010.12.30 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 June 2011 - 06:56 AM.

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Having had another look I think I may be inclined to try it with another of the Intel downloads or indeed the Marvell or the Micron
Have you tried the latest Intel.
I read there were problems with XP install even with a Microsoft XP SP3 original installation beofre this latest revision to B3 version.
I know you have that but I see that ASUS have released a driver version just last month for the Intel one
Version 10.5.0.1026
Description Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 for Windows XP 32bit & 64bit.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) File Size 251,86 (MBytes) 2011.06.01 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China | Posted Image P2P
Version 10.1.0.1008
Description Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.1.0.1008 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL) File Size 250,33 (MBytes) 2011.03.17 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China | Posted Image P2P
Version 10.0.0.1046
Description Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.0.0.1046 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL) File Size 250,78 (MBytes) 2011.03.17 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China | Posted Image P2P
Version 1.17.58.2
Description JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver V1.17.58.2 Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) File Size 4,52 (MBytes) 2010.12.30 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China
Version 1.0.0.1051
Description Marvell 9128 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1051 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Marvell AHCI Driver for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit. File Size 2,42 (MBytes) 2010.12.30 update Download from Posted Image Global (DLM) | Posted Image Global | Posted Image China

Macboatmaster: Thanks again for the replies - I think that that's a great suggetstion - just keep going through all the different SATA ports with the various drivers to see if one works...the very frustrating thing for me is that this was to be my "high-end" build, having just done a "lower-end" build for my place in the country (which I referenced in my original post, the AMD machine), on which I installed XP Pro SP1 without a hitch, downloaded SP3 from the net and upgraded to Win 7, again with no issues whatsoever...might be Murphy's LAw at work here....Thanks again for the suggestions, I will try tonight after work. Cheers!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please don't quote our replies...it just make reading the post more time consuming,,,