Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD stop code 7B when installing XP Pro SP3

• Please log in to reply

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Got it. Sorry for not knowing the protocol, thanks for the heads-up.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There is another thought that crosses my mind.
I have sometime read that an NLite compilation does not like an install from a Sata optical drive.
I cannot find it now or think of the rational behind that.

Maybe an install of another operating system, such as Ubuntu would at least confim that all is OK and the problem lies with the XP and the Sata.
At least it would eliminate any worries regarding the system itself.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 June 2011 - 09:50 AM.

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Definitely worth a try. Thanks. I'll give it a go this evening.

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Tried the Ubuntu; didn't launch when I booted from the optical drive. Might be a bad burn - will try again. Only had limited time, so I'll have to come back to it. Thanks again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it has to be burned as a image,,,use burncdcc...it only burns images

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the suggestion - I've had issues with the various programs I use to create CDs/DVDs; in any case, I did download the program and used it to create a CD of the ISO file, got the install program to launch, but did have an error during install (which the program suggested might be due to a bad optical drive, a dirty lens or a faulty disc - haven't been able to sort out which of those is the case yet)...so, I have Ubuntu installed (sort of), which probably means that Macboatmaster's thought that XP might not like installing from a SATA optical drive could well be on the mark...more combinations/iterations to be tried this evening. Thanks again for your help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the cd on a different computer to see if it will load...if it does you know the burn was good and eliminating it from the list of suspects

nyc224466

nyc224466

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the suggestion - before reading it, I thought I'd try one other thing, which was to re-burn the CD using a much lower speed, thinking that maybe that had something to do with the faulty disc, and it turns out that's probably what the problem was, since after burning the new disc, I got a full install of Ubuntu (11.04) with no issues at all. Been using it for more than a day, and I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised. Definitely thinking that I will set my box up as a dual-boot machine, and if I have any more issues trying to get Win 7 installed, I may just pitch it and stay with Ubuntu. Thanks very much for all of your help, happyrock and Macboatmaster.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...
Macboatmaster did the heavy lifting on this one so he deserves the credit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks happyrock

nyc224466

Ubuntu is great I use it as a dual boot with Vista.
The terminal commmands take a bit of getting use to such as sudo apt get etc but one of the great advanatages is that there is a wealth of free software, including office org, which sees most Microsoft Office applications, not sure if they have sorted the latest Microsoft Office yet.
Additionally the Help on Ubuntu either the built in help or help on the Ubuntu web page has the answers to almost everything.
The updates and the clean up after updates I always find particularly impressive compared with Windows
If you need any help GeekstoGo of course has an Other O/S forum and there are some experts on the site on Ubuntu.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 June 2011 - 08:55 AM.

Advertisements