Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply

Mudz

Mudz

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello folks,

I need help in determining the main problem of my system unit. The problem is this:

Last few days when i was surfing the internet, my computer suddenly restarted and after that my monitor lost its signal. It just went into power-save mode(orange light) while my rig was still running with power on. Since then i was unable to get past the windows loading screen. The monitor either has no signal when i open the computer or even if it does, it will just restart itself after a while, resulting in the lost of the monitor's signal. Each time it restarts, i will have to close the switch and wait for a few hours before opening the computer to get the monitor running with signal. Sometimes, even after hours of waiting, the monitor will still have no signal when i open the computer. There was one time where i got past the bios menu screen and the computer displayed an error message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2. Choose your language settings and click next.
3. Click "repair your computer"

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: "an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

Then when i press enter, it restarts itself and the monitor would lose signal again. I have tried to diagnose the problems but to no avail. Solutions tried:

1. Unplugging the cable connecting the mobo to the hard disk. After that i tried to boot my rig to see if it works, but it did not. So probably it's not hard drive problem?

2. I thought maybe it's the graphic card problem so i tried connecting to the onboard graphic and the same problem still persists.

3. Reseating both of my rams from the blue slots to black slots. Still the same problem.

4. Tried a different working monitor but still the same.

The only things i have yet to try is the power supply/mobo/cpu. Is there a way to test these components without having to replace them with a working unit to see if it's defective? Take note though that i'm unable to get into the windows.

Thanks for reading and any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks again.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Two things to try.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2. Choose your language settings and click next.
3. Click "repair your computer"

Windows stores some boot data in a file called the Boot Configuration Data. This file basically tells Windows which Windows to start. It is similar to the boot.ini file pre-Windows Vista. Here is some light reading, here is some heavy reading. The error that it is giving you is that it can't read that BCD file, so it doesn't know how to boot Windows. I'm surprised you can get to the Windows loading screen at all.

2. When you switched your monitor to the onboard video, did you enable onboard video in the BIOS/System Setup? You'll also probably need to boot into Safe Mode the first time so you can install the appropriate drivers for the onboard video card. To boot into Safe Mode, tap [F8] repeatedly during startup (before the Windows loading screen comes up) and it should give you the option to boot into Safe Mode with Networking (you'll need networking so you can download the driver).

We'll also need you to include your system's make/model when you post back, that way we have a bit more information about the hardware you are running.

Good luck! Posted Image

Mudz

Mudz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry for the late reply. I figured out that the signal's problem is due to my power supply. But there is another problem: the failure to read the BCD file. Is there any solution for this? Thanks for the replies btw.

Mudz

Mudz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Update: fixed the error with this command line: bootrec /rebuildBCD. Anyway, i have a new problem. Earlier, I tried to install a new windows without formatting my C drive. It failed but my old windows folder became windows.old. This somehow caused a problem: User Profile Service service failed the logon. Anyone knows the solution to this problem or is there a way to change the folder back to original windows folder instead of windows.old?

Edited by Mudz, 23 June 2011 - 12:13 PM.