Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CMOS Problems

• Please log in to reply

Diolocko

Diolocko

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'm currently working on a P4M900-M4 motherboard on a computer that had a long time without being used (months, maybe years) and am currently working on restoring it for educational purposes.

The problem consists on it giving me an error list that goes like this.

Floppy disk(s) fail (40) [although there isn't any floppy disk hardware on the computer at all)
Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU Ration changed fail.
Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setupd and remember to save before quit!

------

Then it just lists options (for boot, continue, setup [bios], etc). The issue lies in that if I press "F1 to continue" it actually does continue to the operating system with no problem. Nevertheless, a friend tried installing the RemoveWAT software, for obvious reasons, and the internet connection went haywire. It said it was connected but didn't open any links. So we thought it had to do something with corrupt RemoveWAT software or whichever, and we tried lots of options but nothing worked. Since it has Windows 7 Professional, we decided to erase the hard disk (erasing the whole partition) and install Windows 7 Ultimate. This is where the problem begins.

We tried booting from CD with the "Select Booting Device after POST", but it just kept there displaying the "Loading Boot Menu" message for an hour and nothing happened. So we then tried to access the BIOS "DEL to enter Setup" and same, it kept displaying the "Loading Setup" message for quite some time and nothing happened. We proceeded to remove the Mobo battery and re-insert it. Nothing changed.

So basically I'm left with no BIOS, no way to make the computer boot up from CD or any other boot option, but the operating system boots up with a few issues. Nevertheless the goal is to do a clean install of Windows Ultimate 7 so I need the BIOS or boot option anyways. Plus the CPU setting issue and the CMOS issue are also bothering me.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Floppy disk(s) fail (40) [although there isn't any floppy disk hardware on the computer at all)

This occurs when the floppy drive is in the boot sequence and\or the floppy drive seek is enabled in the bios.
First thing I would suggest is making sure the floppy drive is not in the boot sequence in the bios.
You need to enter the bios or setup as yours says and find the boot sequence. If the floppy drive is in the sequence then change your sequence to read.
Cdrom
HD
This will ensure if any future problems happen you will be able to boot to a cd to rescue your system.
Next check the General area and make sure the Floppy Drive Seek is disabled.
Once these two options have been corrected make sure to press F10 to Save and Exit. You will then be asked to click Y to verify save and exit. Once that is done the system should reboot and the message should now not appear. Please let me know if ti works or not and we can go to the next step if it doesn't. :unsure: :)

If you can't enter bios it may be a low cmos battery that needs replacing.
There also may be a jumper on the mobo to reset the bios back to default.

Diolocko

Diolocko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bios worked fine before the RemoveWAT installation. SO I highly doubt it's a faulty battery.

Either way, I had already changed the battery twice since I was considering the same, but no changes. Unless I was in such a bad luck that both were fried. Nevertheless, those batteries weren't on computers being used, just stored. I'll check with one from a functioning PC.

Maybe I wasn't that careful, but I did search carefully for the jumper and found nothing. I've read some motherboards don't have that jumper (although I have yet to see one, that is if this one is an exception). I did find pins labeled (JCMOS1) which could indicate that it's the relevant CMOS chip pin area, but no jumper was attached to it even when the computer did load the BIOS. So I don't know what to think there.

I've tried finding a diagram of the mobo with categorized features and parts, with no luck unfortunately. If you do find relevant information on the jumper (which is one of the last options I have left before I declare a friend/faulty motherboard) please let me know.

And thanks.

Diolocko

Diolocko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've read of viruses that directly attack the CMOS, and some have reportedly come from the mentioned RemoveWAT software. So I went to the site and it is reportedly not working anymore. But days before that I had installed it on another computer and successfully got rid of... well you now it's job (I don't want to mention it here in case there's a policy). And the computer has been working fine.

Either way, an antivirus, firewall, or the own computer might have at least detected some kind of attack to the CMOS and I got no notifications. In fact, I can even start the computer now normally and it boots up successfully to the operating system, but no detection on anything.

Suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you mentioned it I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Not a great tool!

RemoveWAT which claims to completely remove Windows Activation Technologies (WAT) from the operating-system allowing users with illegal copies of Windows 7 to activate their copies while still retaining genuine status and receiving all updates from Microsoft, this will even let them pass the genuine check in Microsoft software’s like Windows Defender. Receiving the updates from Microsoft is optional as well.

As suggested I would visit the malware forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 18 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.