Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a computer that won't connect to the internet. It has connected in the past. I have this computer that runs with Windows XP connected directly to my router. I did have trouble going in to repair the connection. I kept getting a pop up that said the IP address could not be renewed. So I got on the phone with tech at Time Warner. He helped get the correct IP address and it should have connected but when I tried to connect via Internet Explorer the screen just bliked saying it couldn't connect. When I tried to connect via Google Chrome I got the message that the page couldn't load. I have ran a check with my PC Tools Security program. No virus detected. I also ran the disk clean up and disk defragmenter. Still no internet. I don't know how to check for corrupted files or anything else that may be the trouble. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jennifer

Advertisements

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello Jennifer2: :)

Please try connecting directly with modem via Ethernet cable, if you succeed then most likely your router is hijacked, if still no success then this forum is specifically to help home users. Please read and follow instructions in BEGIN HERE: Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Jennifer2

Before going for a malware check I would like you to reset a few things and to do this you will need to open notepad

Start - Run - type notepad.exe - hit enter

There is some code below please copy and paste this into notepad and save as ipreset.bat

@echo off

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset
shutdown -r -t 0

This file will automatically restart your computer so before running this file make sure any work you have done is saved. A reboot is required for everything to be at default. If you still have problems after running this file then please proceed to the malware team with the link Rediah has provided.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 17 June 2011 - 02:18 PM.

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for your responses. I'll be trying wizzy2k5 suggestion. I did look at the link that Rediah posted. I am a home user. I should have mentioned this, and I am sorry I did not earlier. I do have 3 other computers hooked into this same router and the 3 other computers are working fine on the internet. It's just this one computer. ?? =) Thanks for your help. I'll check back in a bit.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
If all the other computers are working fine through the router then it won't be a router issue it will just be that one computer. The post above should cure that.

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did what wizzy2k5 suggested. And it didn't change anything. When I click on Internet Explorer the page doesn't load. It blinks constantly like it's trying to but never does. I don't know how I can run a different virus program if I can't get the computer one line. Any idea what I should do from here? Thank you!! :)

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Hello Jennifer2: :)

Please try connecting directly with modem via Ethernet cable, if you succeed then most likely your router is hijacked, if still no success then this forum is specifically to help home users. Please read and follow instructions in BEGIN HERE: Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

You could reset Internet Explorer to do default settings

Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset

If that doesn't work check and driver problems, do this follow below

• Click start and goto run
  • In the run box type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter
  • Look under network adapters and report back if that catagory has any yellow marks in it

If no yellow marks appear please try a different brower such as Google Chrome.

If that fails I have quoted Rediah post above so please proceed with that. After you have gone to the malware team I will temporally stop replying till they have finshed. This is to protect your system so your not doing two things at once. When they are finished please report back to this topic

Edited by wizzy2k5, 18 June 2011 - 10:41 AM.

Jennifer2

Jennifer2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Will do. Thank you so much.