Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sloooooow

• Please log in to reply

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I am trying to make a Compaq computer go faster, but I'm not positive what is making it so slow. Sometimes it runs slower than other times and if it is left on all night with a program opened it runs slower. Is it more the Athlon XP2400+ 266MHZ processor, 128MB/DDR of RAM, or could it possibly be the swap file in the hard drive not working as it should?

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
i'd suggest installing more mem.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
More RAM makes a slow computer always faster, however computers become slower as they get older. How old is this computer. Also spy ware , malware eat up system resources slowing it down. Maybe a simple disk defragment could speed it up abit. Also you could try overclocking it :tazz: