Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISO and hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply

Jamie22

Jamie22

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I have been having problems with my sons netbook since he managed to get a mailware virus.

Firstly, i found out how to delete the mailware and get the thing working again. I then restored it to an earlier time (not original settings as it locked up and didn't work) However, the netbook thought there was 80G of info on it, and the folder "documents and settings" looked empty, but according to properties was 60G in size.

I decided to have another crack at restoring it to original settings using the F6 setting i read about online (its a compaq netbook). All this did was somehow corrupt the <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. file and so the [bleep] thing wouldn't start.

Again, after reading on here about burning the rc.iso file onto disk and booting up through an external dvd drive (thanks all) I thought I was getting somewhere.

Problem number 3......

At the point where you choose enter to set up XP, R to repair or F3 to quit, it doesn't matter which of the 2 options i choose, the next screen doesn't show the hard drive???

What do i do......? I'm at a complete loss and can't find any info. All pages i have read skip straight to the next bit.....

Please help....

Jamie

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post the exact model and any service tag id off the base of the computer please

Jamie22

Jamie22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

Model is Compaq mini 110c - 1110SA

not sure about the service tag....

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Jamie22: :)

Too many wrong moves:

• Messing with malware, it requires Expertise
  • Restoring from an infected System Restore
  • Copy of XP doesn't have integrated SATA driver
My advise please don't experiment further instead wait for an answer from Moderator or Global Moderator or Administrator

Jamie22

Jamie22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi G i T

You may well have a point.....
Cheers for the reply.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As far as I can ascertain this is the link to your computer on the HP site
http://h10025.www1.h...ct=4033820#N268
Windows XP can be reinstalled using the XP Operating System Disc included with your notebook PC or purchased separately from HP.
If the worst come to the worst and you DO NOT have that XP disc you can purchase a recovery disc reasonably priced if ONE is still available for this model from HP.
You will of course lose all your data, but presumably as you were attempting to restore to orginal condition, an option that relies on a recovery partition on the HDD and does not appear to have been available on the netbook, you are already aware of that.

I decided to have another crack at restoring it to original settings using the F6 setting

When you accessed that what options were presented to you and what did you choose.
When selecting the option to enter the recovery console - what does it show please.

Is the HDD shown in the BIOS.

• Turn on or restart the computer.
  • While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.
    NOTE: The BIOS settings menu is accessible by pressing the f2 or the f6 key on some computers.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 June 2011 - 01:48 PM.

Jamie22

Jamie22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

Cheers for reply.

I was looking to see if i could repair it without a recovery disc, though if too problematic, will buy one.

With regards to "I decided to have another crack at restoring it to original settings using the F6 setting", hitting F6 took me to the roxio restore screen. I could only choose dates from this month (which i did first and had the empty large folder issue and a slow running computer) or from Dec 2010 when i bought it. Thats the one i chose the second time and ended up with the problem with the iso file.

I followed the instuctions on here about burning the iso file onto cd and booting from it when I encountered the current no hard drive issue??

Yes the HDD is in bios as I have performed a HDD check in bios and it was fine, it just doesn't show up when repairing from booting from disc.

fyi i didn't get a disc for the netbook when we got it, so don't have a full XP disc to restore from.

Cheers

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The HDD on that netbook is a PATA connection, that is a Parallel ATA, known as Parallel since SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) was introduced to avoid confusion

Now you report that the

roxio restore screen.

if you go to the link I sent you you will be able to confirm that those notebooks were either provided with the HP recovery disc or the Roxio recovery system.
Here are the instructions for ordering a recovery disc
http://h10025.www1.h...ct=4033820#N316

Dealing with the recovery console ISO you downloaded, it is just that a recovery console and if that does not recognise your Windows installation then it is more than likely that the December 2010 recovery has somehow caused the problem of the drive not being seen.

Moving to the advice from Rediah if you have intentions of attempting recovery to the state immediately before this problem, although I SERIOUSLY DOUBT if that is now possible, it is indeed vital to ensure that you have a clean bill of health, as any infection may continue to cause serious probelms.

Having had another look for you at the link I sent you try this
To determine if the HP Recovery Manager is operational, press the power switch to turn on the computer, and then repeatedly press f11 during the startup. If the Recovery Manager is operational, the computer will display a prompt to either (1) recover the operating system from files stored on the recovery partition, or (2) create a set of recovery discs which does not require the purchase of a replacement recovery disc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 June 2011 - 03:24 PM.

Jamie22

Jamie22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

Thanks for all your help, and the links.

Will order a recovery disc and sort it out with that.

Cheers