Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Deleted DirectX 9 Registry key

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

While playing Call of Duty Black Ops on Windows XP, I kept getting directx error messages on some maps (Hanoi, Launch) and then the game crashes at this point. Otherwise, the game plays well on all other maps.

I tried upgrading DirectX but the Microsoft site stated that I have the latest version (9).

I then tried uninstalling DirectX by deleting the following registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX. I then tried reinstalling DirectX by restarting the computer, checked that DirectX was uninstalled by running DirectX Diagnostic Tool (stated that the DirectX Version was "Not found"). I then downloaded and run the DirectX end user runtime web installer, but I got the following error:

DirectX Setup An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem

(see attached DXError.log file)

I did not set a restore point prior to deleting this key, nor did I back up the registry.

How can I reinstall DirectX?

Attached File  DXError.log   1.64KB   372 downloads

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
One thread I found said they got around the error by installing Directx from Safe Mode. Worth a try.

You could also try recreating the key. Mine looks like this:

Posted Image