Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive not found on wiped drive

• Please log in to reply

allanjs

allanjs

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all, I'm new here and of course have a problem. I purchased 2 Dell Optiplex GX270 computers from a local
University. Both have had the hard drive wiped using Disk Deleter I believe. Neither computer will find the
hard drive, floppy drive or cd drive. I want to load XP. I downloaded a program on to a flash drive and both computers will boot to the flash drive in DOS mode. They then show the flash drive as drive C. What do I need
to do from here ? Would replacing the hard drives be the best option ?
Thanks
Al

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hi and welcome to GeekstoGo

Have you checked that the HDD is connected by both power and data leads.
Have you check in BIOS if the drives are shown.
See this link and follow the advice for entering setup.
Floppy may have been disbaled in BIOS
http://support.dell....eat.htm#1128164

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the replay.

The HDD is recognized in BIOS as primary master drive. The jumper on the drive is set to cable select.
Under boot sequence for the CD-ROM says "not installed".

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Does the one cable connect both the HDD and the CD from the motherboard
ie: a cable with two connectors as shown

Posted Image
As the HDD is jumpered cable slect I may presume it does.

OR does the HDD and the CD drive each have their own cable.

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Each have their own cable. HDD is connected to IDE1. CD-ROM is connected to IDE2.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to the BIOS setup. see the link I sent you and check the settings.
These are the relevant details
Drive Configuration
  • Diskette Drive A — Identifies the floppy drive attached to the DSKT connector on the system board. With the standard cabling configuration, Diskette Drive A (the boot floppy drive) is the 3.5-inch floppy drive installed in the top externally accessible drive bay. The two options are 3.5 Inch, 1.44 MB and Not Installed.
Tape drives are not reflected in the Diskette Drive A option. For example, if a single floppy drive and a tape drive are attached to the floppy drive interface cable, set Diskette Drive A to 3.5 Inch, 1.44 MB.

• SATA Primary Drive — Identifies the serial ATA hard drive attached to the SATA1 connector on the system board.
  • SATA Secondary Drive — Identifies the serial ATA hard drive attached to the SATA2 connector on the system board (not available on the small form-factor or small desktop computers).
  • Primary Drive 0 — Identifies the IDE hard drive attached to the IDE1 connector on the system board.
  • Primary Drive 1 — Identifies the IDE device attached to the IDE2 connector on the system board.
  • Secondary Drive 0 — Identifies the device that is cabled with the drive on the IDE1 data cable.
  • Secondary Drive 1 — Identifies the device that is cabled with the device on the IDE2 data cable.
  • IDE Drive UDMA — Sets the mode for all installed hard drives.
<a name="1135808">NOTE: You must have an IDE device connected to the primary IDE interface if you have an IDE device connected to the secondary IDE interface.

When you set diskette drive - floppy enabled. I t should then appear in the boot device

Look at primary drive 1 that should be the CD connected to IDE2.

The fact it may not at this stage work, does not stop it being Identified in the BIOS.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Then make this and it should boot to dos, enabling you to then check the drive - format it, create a primary dos partition and see where we go from there.
http://www.onecomput...e/win98_img.exe

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK. I can now boot to DOS from the floppy drive A. Typed dir c: and I get invalid drive.
Whats next ? It's been quite awhile since I used DOS.

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I went through the system setup and reset to factory defaults. The computer then automatically ran
IDE configuration. That program returned:

Primary Master - Disk Drive
Secondary Master - CD-Rom.

In system setup under Drive Configuration the entries are as follows. Some of the terminolgy used is
slightly different than what the Dell info states.

SATA Primary Drive.......OFF
SATA Secondary Drive.....OFF
Primary Master Drive.....Hard Drive
Primary Slave Drive......OFF
Secondary Master Drive...CD-ROM Device
Secondary Slave Drive....OFF
IDE Drive UDMA...........On

Hard-Disk Drive Sequence
1. System BIOS boot devices
2. USB device (not installed)

Boot Sequence
1. Diskette Drive
2. Hard-Disk C:
3. IDE CD-ROM device

I can boot to DOS via the floppy drive but the C: drive is not yet recognized.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Boot from that floppy it will load a ramdrive this is normally the letter immediately following the hard drive.
So if the ram drive loads in D. The CD will be E and the HDD as you say will be C.

Usually with one floppy drive, allocated A. B is reserved for another floppy and C is the HDD.
On that system you have I can see no reason for C not being the HDD

When you have that boot at the command prompt type
C:
What is the message displayed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 June 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The CD drive spins up but won't boot. I get F1 to retry boot F2 for setup.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Where does the CD drive enter into the equation of booting from the floppy with the 98 boot disk

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
"Where does the CD drive enter into the equation of booting from the floppy with the 98 boot disk"

Your previous post, that apparently you edited, stated to turn off the UDMA, set the CD as
first boot device.

Anyway, I'm booted to DOS on the floppy, I type C: and get Invalid drive specification.

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
"Where does the CD drive enter into the equation of booting from the floppy with the 98 boot disk"

Your previous post, that apparently you edited, stated to turn off the UDMA, set the CD as
first boot device.

Anyway, I'm booted to DOS on the floppy, I type C: and get Invalid drive specification.

allanjs

allanjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

first boot device.