Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleted Administrator

• Please log in to reply

Andreatoo

Andreatoo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I have a pc where one of the kids from my family did something and deleted the administrator account from the computer. We have other accounts on the computer but they are all limited accounts which prevent me from downloading any new programs.

Is there any way I can fix this?

I have an old hp desktop that is ancient. I'm not sure of the model but I can look it up if I need to.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go start, control panel and double click the user accounts shortcut.
When that opens, press the print screen key, then go start, prgrams, accessories and open paint.
Now click the edit tab and click paste.
The open user accounts window will appear in paint.
Now click the file tab and click Save As.
Select JPEG for the type of file as the default Bitmap is too large.
Now on your reply cl ick Go Advanced and click Manage Attachments, browse to the saved item and attach to reply

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 June 2011 - 10:31 AM.

Andreatoo

Andreatoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hmm...I did what you said but it only shows me an account at a time...they all basically look like this.

Sorry it's in Spanish. I don't know how to change the language.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dibujo.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you are on XP Professional then on the logon screen press Ctr Alt Del twice, that will provide you with the option to enter via the built in Admin account. That account is created automatically when XP is set up.
It exists, irrespective of what other accounts are created or deleted.
Unless a password was entered when XP was setup leave it blank.

If you are XP Home you will have to access the built in Admin Account on Safe Mode.
That is, after BIOS screen keep tapping F8 , then on the screen select Safe Mode.

Andreatoo

Andreatoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I can't access safe mode for some reason...the other options won't work.

Can you tell me how to do this in detail?
And what I do when I get on safe mode?

Thanks~

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

That is, after BIOS screen keep tapping F8 , then on the screen select Safe Mode.

As my post but does this help.

To start the computer in safe mode

Click Start and then click Shut Down.

In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
Note

•If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again.

If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 June 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Andreatoo

Andreatoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I still tried to do it but it doesn't work...hmm...I'll keep trying.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Can you give me a little more information what aspect of it does not work.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

So you wish to make a new administrator account? I can try and get you to a standard user and this may fix your problem

click start - run - type in cmd - hit enter

In the box that appears type in the following and press enter

net user put your own user name here /add

So for example

net user test /add

Regards

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will of course stand corrected, but the OP can access the user accounts.
But the problem is this

Hi, I have a pc where one of the kids from my family did something and deleted the administrator account from the computer. We have other accounts on the computer but they are all limited accounts which prevent me from downloading any new programs.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

I did see that the user has accounts but these are guest accounts only. I was suggesting to make a new standard account if possible to try and fix the issue :) I shall let you continue :unsure:

Andreatoo

Andreatoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Aha! I fixed it! I'm not sure what I did but I unchecked a box that said account disabled and then I have admin rights again.

Phew.

I still can't access safe mode but that's another issue I can solve another day.

Thanks so much for your help!!