Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

{Andrew}

{Andrew}

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ive been trying now for days to get connected to my internet via a Ethernet cord hooked right up to my modem, well every time I do I always get limited or no connectivity. Other people on other computers in the house can hook a Ethernet cord from the same place on the modem to there computers and connect just fine, not sure what the problem could be, has to be something with my computer I am guessing. However I can connect to the internet via a wireless connection from my phone to my laptop. I also tried looking at your sticky via this issue but it didn't really help me. The only information I could find was that the modem is a Ubee modem, it is blue and white on the sides and has 8 lights on the front. Well thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: Also I have tried a lot of things to try to resolve this myself but so far nothing has helped. I have tried the cmb prompt commands like ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew. I also unplugged and plugged back in my modem also pressing the reset button on the back for a full reset. I also tried plugging in the cord and resetting the computer, tried unplugging the cord from both ends and plugging them back in, tried disabling and enabling the local area connection under the network connections in the control panel < network settings. I don't know what to do.

Edited by {Andrew}, 18 June 2011 - 12:06 AM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello {Andrew}

I am not a networking professional however I do have an idea that you can try and has worked many times before hand. First off please open notepad, copy and paste the code into notepad and save as ipreset.bat

Start - All Programs - Accessories - notepad

@echo off

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset
shutdown -r -t 0

If this does not work I would like you to reset your modem. Also tell me the make and model of your computer and see if I can find any updated network drivers. Also please note that this file will automatically restart your computer so please make sure all work is saved before running this file. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 please right click this file and run as administrator.

So follow the advice in this order, if one of these cures the problem please cease from moving onto the next :-

1 - Run the file
2 - Reset your modem
3 - Tell me the make and model of your computer

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 18 June 2011 - 09:24 AM.

{Andrew}

{Andrew}

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Wiz2k5 just wanted to thanks for your response and wanted to quickly reply to let you know I did get your message however I have leave my home shortly and be able to try that notepad suggestion just yet however I will try it soon as I get home (About 11:00pm EST. Appox. 10 1/2 hours) and let you know here if it worked or not. In the mean time I have some computer specs here for you so maybe you could help me further until I have time to get back home. Here you go.

System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 2/21/2011 10:58:51 PM
Hewlett-Packard Presario V2000 (EM702AV#ABA) Rev 1
System Serial Number: CNF6200DB3
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Communications new – connection speed & status
AC97 Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP
Standard 33600 bps Modem
↑ Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

After you have done the above update the ethernet drivers. I was unable to find Hewlett-Packard Presario V2000 exactly however after dozen attempts I kept getting to Compaq Presario V2000T so here is the link to try them drivers.

Thanks