Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer x1700 will not boot?

• Please log in to reply

pismosi

pismosi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay here's the deal. Last night I accidentally hit the sleep button on the keyboard and the computer went to sleep. I couldn't get it out of sleep mode, so I just shut it down and left it overnight. This morning, I turned it on. The monitor said "NO INPUT", and the tower beeped every 12 seconds. I already checked the manual and there's no entry in the beep codes that matches what I hear. I also opened up the case and didn't see anything burnt out. Everything on the inside is running fine. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi pismosi :)
Try clearing the CMOS by removing the CR2032 battery on the MB, once done please reset the time and date in the BIOS save the new settings, (F10) and then Y to accept the new settings.
If this does not work see my canned text below for the information we require to be in a position to help you;
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I was going to suggest unplugging the computer from the wall or turn off the PSU's master power switch (if it has one) for 10 - 15 seconds. This removes the +5Vsb standby voltage used to keep several circuits alive on the motherboard, specifically the "Wake on..." circuits. These allow us to press a key or wiggle a mouse to wake up our computers. That sometimes works in these cases, though not often enough. Clearing the CMOS is the next step anyway.

pismosi

pismosi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, taking out the CMOS battery didn't fix the problem. Here are all the specs I have:

Model Name: Asus x1700
Manufacturer: Asus
Year of Purchase: 2009
Operating System: Vista Home Premium, upgraded to 7 Ultimate two days before problems started
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.2 Ghz
RAM: 4 gb
HDD: 640 gb
Graphics Card: Nvidia gForce G100

Thabk you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi pismosi
The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections
and that both ends are secure.
2: Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, do the
same with the Ram sticks.
3; If the above does not resolve the issue try 1 stick of Ram at a time in DIMM slot 1.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not try another video card.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

pismosi

pismosi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you phillpower

I tried removing the video card and using onboard VGA, but there was no change. I also alternated booting without 1 DIMM, and still no change. I'm a little worried that it might have overheated, and if that's the case could replacing the power supply help?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry the update is not better news.

I'm a little worried that it might have overheated, and if that's the case could replacing the power supply help?

Overheating is a possibility but I`m afraid swapping the PSU will not resolve it, that said trying a known good PSU is the step I would suggest next, can you borrow one to try, if not having yours tested by a tech with the correct equipment is recommended as opposed to purchasing a new PSU only to find it is not the cause.

pismosi

pismosi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All the PSUs I have laying around are 24 pin and the mobo has a 20 pin port. But, I ordered a 24 to 20 pin adapter from newegg for $4, and I will post results when it arrives. Thanks for your help!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
On some motherboards, the extra 4pins can hang off the side and not be in danger of contacting something. And many PSUs, upon a close look, those last four pins can break away, to form a 20-pin and a separate 4-pin connection.

pismosi

pismosi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the tip Digerati.

I tried 3 different power supplies, all with the same results. At this point I think it's a motherboard issue, and if that's the case I'll probably just disassemble it and reuse the parts. If anyone has any more advice, I'll take it, and thank you very much for the help you've provided so far.
'

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, not sure I helped, but you are welcome anyway.