Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intel i7 2600 vs i7 900

• Please log in to reply

Gaberial

Gaberial

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello again you gurus of all that is geeky!

ok its that time again, looking into building a new gaming pc. I have been doing research and have really liked what the i7 2600 (or 2600k if i can catch a good sale, over clocking isnt a big thing to me) but a fellow swears up and down the i7 900 series are a better CPU to go with. I like the idea of the 2600s ability to help with graphics rendering. But cannot find out one way or anouther the exact pros and cons of these 2 series. cooling shouldnt be an issue as i plan on getting a full tower case, something like the antec DF-85 or in win dragon rider lol I am going to be running a decent gpu something in the 2 gig 256 bit range and probubly nvidia but if i can get a better deal on ati im fine with that too (eventually running dual as money allows)

basicly im very open to suggestions at this time, so was hopeing to get some good ideas on what cpu to go with and why. im still leaning towards the 2600 but if the 900 series are a by far better choice then let me know.

Thanks again! as always you guys are awsome!

Gabe

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The i7-2600 will outperform the similarly priced option in the i7-9x0 lineup, the i7-960. It most cases, unless the program can utilize all 6 cores, it will even outperform the $1000+ i7-980X. I would definitely go with the new Sandy Bridge tech for a new gaming build.

Also, a note about the built-in graphics on the i7-2600, they are meant as a replacement for onboard graphics, but they won't do for anything above light gaming. I see you said you will be buying a discrete graphics card, so you won't need to worry about this.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Gaberial.

but a fellow swears up and down the i7 900 series are a better CPU to go with.

I think him wrong considering the 980X cost three times as much. Read the whole article, including the last two reviews,

> http://www.bit-tech....bridge-review/1 and there are plenty of other reviews giving very similar results.

Have e read and get back to us.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
aye, all of the research id done, has given me the same understanding that the sandybridge is the better choice but given that this guy is the person who helped me build my first computer many years ago and has been doing this longer then i, its second nature to give me pause if he says otherwise. However im glad to see im learning enough know what im doing lol. Thanks again guys! also ill prolly be back in a few weeks or so to have you guys proof read a full computer parts list. I rarely make mistakes anymore with compatability but never hurts to double check ones work before turning it into the teacher :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Info.

> http://www.bit-tech....l-z68-chipset/1

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
aye thank you iamykyl that last bit of info was nicely enlightening. I was under the understanding that the z68 chipset was supposed to help with graphic rendering even in the case of discrete graphics cards but i guess not which is a bit dissapointing. Oh Well.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Info, sheds a little more light. I think the SSD caching is of interest. > http://www.xbitlabs....p8z68v-pro.html I will still be recommending the Z68, maybe later this year Intel will release more CPUs.

My main gripe is the lack of boards from Asus and Asrock similar to the TUF boards. Gigabyte may be cornering that market.