Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook 2000

• Please log in to reply

mao

mao

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I am trying to back up my pst files from outlook 2000 (I have office 2000 premium) to a cd as my windows me or a virus or both is really causing problems. I go through the routine of export pst with no encryption to a desktop file and each time I get a file in some kind of assembly language or machine language..I really don't know the difference and am just using this as descriptive anyway it has lots of square symbols, slanted calculus like "f's" etc anyway I have no idea what to do and would really appreciate some help. Thank you.. MAO

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi mao

When you exported your PST file to your desktop, it is now a Office Data file that only Outlook will be able to understand, if you double click on the file you get the popup with, which program do you want to use to open the file. Choose notepad and the file will be a bunch of squares, fffff and such.

Copy the file to a cd, if you have another cp to test with, import that file into the Outlook program, you will be able to view the folders and emails that are stored in the PST file.

mao

mao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Spank; I put this material on a cd and tried to load it on another older computer (windows 98 with outlook 97 )and I got the following message after trying to Import.
"File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to acess the file." As far as I know there is no encryption on either computer as I own them both and have since new.

TechSavvyFreddy04

TechSavvyFreddy04

• Pip
  • 2 posts
mao, I think permits that file access is being denied because the .pst files were not archived before you attempted to import them. They are read only initially after you copy them onto your new system. I ran into this problem once. Hope it is helpful.

tetz

tetz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm no expert but if you exported to a CD, the file is READ only. Outlook may want this file to be read/write. You might want to then copy the file to some hard drive, change its attributes to read/write. Then try opening it again with outlook. Seems like I had a similar problem a few years back. :tazz: ;)