Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this baby fit?

• Please log in to reply

Coeco

Coeco

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Will a MA790X-UD3P gigabyte motherboard support..

a 2.1 PCI-Express 5970 HD ATI radeon graphics card?

Loads of rumors that PCI-Express 2.1 works the same as 2.0 while other claim that their PC's blew up because of it so advice from someone that knows would be neat.

This is the one I'm planning to buy:

http://translate.goo...15260DF1C#extra

Edited by Coeco, 19 June 2011 - 08:39 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1) (Note 3)
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1) (Note 4)
(The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX8_1 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology, and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

3 x PCI Express x1 slots
2 x PCI slots

Specifications above indicate it will accept the card. Highlighted slot indicates it will accept a 2.0 PCI-Express card as you ask about. I got the info on Gigabytes sites located HERE if you would like to take a look at the full specs on the motherboard.
:)

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for the quick reply and for the straight answer (Hard to get these days).

I'll see how things work out after buying it and hopefully nothing will blow up after installing it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just make sure your PSU has the needed connection for the video card or all this will be for nothing.

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Might upgrade several things, Can a ATI Radeon 6970 HD fit into my motherboard as well?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System specs for the 6970 card.

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
550 Watt or greater power supply with one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connector and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a display
DVD playback requires DVD drive and a DVD
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive and a Blu-ray disc
For an AMD CrossFireX™ system, a second AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 Series Graphics card, an AMD CrossFireX™ Ready motherboard and one AMD CrossFireX™ Bridge Interconnect cable is required

The above red spec is what you need to worry about which it looks like your mobo will have.
Just make sure the PSU has the correct connectors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 25 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
It did fit accordingly but now I am having other computer difficulties with or without in regards to it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explain please and we will see what can can do.