Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preparing network connections shut down

• Please log in to reply

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, my Desktop Pc has devloped a few problems lately

Occasionally when I switch it on it gets to the blue welcome screen, then displays 'preparing network connections' for a few seconds before switching itself off again. This also happens if I try starting up in safe mode. I have found a work around on the internet, by plugging in an external hard drive before the blue screen comes on the network connections message doesn't appear, and I can load up my computer normally. The Pc is then fine until I either have to turn it off without shutting down properly, or if I am using too many programs at once in which case it switches itself off and I get the 'preparing network connections' message again.

Secondly if I need to restart the computer, as soon as the computer displays the bios screen it starts bleeping constantly. This does not go away until I switch the computer off. I am guessing these 2 problems are being caused by overheating?

I have only just got the computer to load up again from the network connection problem and have noticed it took a lot longer to load up than usual. My iphone will also no longer be recognised by itunes (it does however begin recharging so it is not a problem with the USB port)

Help!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry you have waited for a reply.
This sometimes happens simply because of the vast numbers of threads on this site.
Have you resolved the issue, before I start to help please.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I may have.

One of my external harddrives failed, it was being recognised by the computer but I could not access any of the files. I think this was causing the conflict with itunes as my iphone suddenly started being recognised again when I removed the drive. When I tried to open add/remove programes from the control panel, my computer would also state please wait while the list is populated and would refuse to do anything not matter how long I waited. This also resolved itself on removal of the drive. I am guessing the computer must have been trying to access the corrupted drive.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this was also causing the problem with the computer switching itself off - so far so good.

I have also managed to save the corrupted hard drive by running chkdsk, it seems to be running perfectly again now and all of the files are accessable.

EDIT: I've just tried a reset and I'm still getting the beeping so I still need some help please.

Edited by wysiwyg2008, 22 June 2011 - 11:44 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

corrupted hard drive by running chkdsk

Was it chkdsk /r or on GUI including check for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
If so and bad sectors were found, it is a common misconception that they are repaired. This is not the case. The data recovered from the bad sector is moved to another sector and the original sector marked bad. Data is not then written to the marked sectors.
Bad sectors are a sign of a failing hard disc.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I ran chkdsk /f the start menu. I've backed up the drive in case it fails completely but so far it seems ok.

However the main problem it still occurring. My machine switched itself off again and came up with the 'preparing network connections' message again when I turned it on again. I've just managed to get it running again by the plugging in an external drive trick.

The only programs running when it turned off were firefox, itunes and I was converting a file to .mp4

Any ideas what is causing the problem?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I am not quite certain on which drive you have run the chkdsk, was it the failed external drive. If so run chkdsk /r. on it that checks for bad sectors as per my previous post.

2. If you have not done so run chkdsk on the main drive.

3. Check for driver updates on your network hardware.

4. Check that on the network hardware, right click in Network Connections, click properties and in the lower window on TCP/IP again click properties and check that entries for obtain IP address and DNS server are set automatically.

5. If the above has not worked and there were no driver updates for the network - go Device Manager in system properties and check that there are no warnings against any entries, including on hidden devices.

6. Is this a wired connection or a wireless connection. If it is wireless, is it a USB wireless adaptor. If so go device manager and on the usb root hubs, find the usb port into which the wireless adaptor is connected.
Is that port configured under power management to allow the computer to turn off power to the port. If so uncheck it.

7. If the problem still exists and it is wireless usb try the port into which the external drive is connected. Then disocnnect all usb except the wirless adaaptor.

8. You mentioned you thought it may be overheating run Speedfan.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Speedfan instructions posted with acknowledgment to rshaffer61

9. If it is NOT usb wireless, is it integrated network adaptor, the ethernet cable will connect to the I/O plate below the mouse and keyboard and above the audio connections
OR is it a separate card, the ethernet will connect below the I/O plate. If separate check that the card is firmly and correctly seated in the motherboard slots, take the usual anti-static precautions.
IF YOU DO NOT KNOW that you are competant to open the computer. or if it is a laptop ignore this part of the advice.
If it is a desktop and with further reference to the perceived possible overheating and you can open the case, is it indicative of a clean is necessary.

10. If all has failed to date run this
Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
RUN the test ANON
That is at the end of the page that opens - when you click the Overdrive test
If you do not wish to create a free user account, you can still run overdrive anonymously

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

11. Please post back when all tests completed and information obtained from speedfan and pitstop with the URL of pitstop as indicated.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 June 2011 - 06:04 AM.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok it took a while but these are the results

1 Yes it was run on the failed external harddrive. I have now run chkdsk /r which stated it has replaced bad clusters

2 ran chkdsk on c: drive with no problems

3 updated drivers for NVIDEA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet #2

4 DNS server has now been changed to obtain automatically. The option for IP address was already on obtain

automatically.

5 No warning symbols against any entries. Except there is a cross over an old nokia I no longer own in portable

devices.

6 & 7 It is a wired connection

8 This is the jpeg of speedfan results
speedfan.jpeg

9 It is an integrated network adaptor. I will try to open the computer as soon as possible to check if it needs

cleaning. Although I have not had this one open yet, I have installed dvd drives in my old computer.

10 Pcpitstop results are http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24427753

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Yes it was run on the failed external harddrive. I have now run chkdsk /r which stated it has replaced bad clusters

In view of that it is a reasonable presumption that the drive is failing.
Bad Sectors are not repaired.
The data from the bad sector is moved to a good sector and the sector marked bad and then data not written to it..
It is a common misconception that chkdsk REPAIRS bad sectors - this is NOT the case.

Re Speedfan - I do not like the look of the temps at idle and the voltage on the 12 volt rail appears to need further examination.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 June 2011 - 06:23 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re Pitstop
A cursory examination of the just the first overall result, in just the last two minutes and there is much more time to be spent, tells me that the situation is NOT good.
Empty Recycle Bin (Drive I:) Performance 4030 MB Posted Image Empty Recycle Bin (Drive H:) Performance 1290 MB Posted Image Empty Recycle Bin (Drive G:) Performance 4080 MB Posted Image Change Internet Receive Buffer Performance default Posted Image Craplet Scan Config 2 Craplets Posted Image Delete Temporary Files Performance 3466 MB Posted Image Defragment Drive C: Performance 44% Posted Image Reduce System Restore Capacity Performance 465960 MB Posted Image Delete Tracking Cookies Security 20 Cookies Posted Image Empty Recycle Bin (Drive F:) Performance 4093 MB Posted Image Disable Firefox Saved Passwords Security Enabled Posted Image Empty Recycle Bin (Drive C:) Performance 4074 MB Posted Image Update Display Adapters Driver Drivers 9/17/2008
6.14.11.7813 Posted Image

Defragmentation is required
Recycle bins require attention
Disk cleanup required.

HOWEVER I consider temps and voltages more important.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 June 2011 - 06:31 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please download and install SIW System Info for Windows the free version at the lower part of this page.
Lets see if we can get a comparison with Speedfan
http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Also please enter setup, normally F2 on first post screen and check the temps and voltages in the BIOS screens.
The page you are looking for on that Phoenix Award Bios will be similar to this
Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 June 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
siwresults.jpeg

I couldn't get a screenshot of the bios results but this is what was stated on there:
CPU Shutdown Temp 80C/176F
CPU Warning Temp 70C/158F
Fan Fail Alarm Selectable CPU Fan
Shutdown when fan fail Disabled
CPU Fan EQ Control Enabled
- CPU Fan EQ Target Temp 50C/122F
- CPU Fan EQ Temp Tolerance 5C/41F
- CPU Fan EQ Start Control 80%
- CPU Fan EQ Stop Control 50%
SYS Fan EQ Control Enabled
- SYS Fan EQ Reference Temp System
- SYS Fan EQ Target Temp 35C/95F
- SYS Fan EQ Temp Tolerence 5C/41F
- SYS Fan EQ Start Control 70%
- SYS Fan EQ Stop Control 50%
CPU Temp 82C/180F
System Temp 31C/88F
PWM Temp 60C/140F
CPU Fan Speed 2812RPM
SYS Fan Speed 1004RPM
AUX1 Fan Speed 0RPM
AUX2 Fan Speed 0RPM
CPU Core Voltage 120V
DDR2 Voltage 1.84V
CPU VTT Voltage 1.20V
NB Voltage 1.20V
ATX +12V 12.26V
ATX +33V 3.32V

Incidentally when I exited the bios screen the computer started its alarm warnings, and I got the 'preparing network connections' shutdown problem again

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

CPU Core Voltage 120V

That cannot be correct

However more to the point you will I am sure have noticed that the CPU temp was 82C.
I am reasonably sure that is too hot.

Have you overclocked this.

Also your 12 volt supply from the PSU again raises concerns.

Speedfan showed the 12 v as 6.07 and SIW shows the 12v as 8.42

I need to seek some advice from another member who is more experienced than me in interpreting these results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 June 2011 - 05:11 AM.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Apologies the core voltage was 1.20V.

Yes I did notice that it was 82C, and thought it should not be that high

I personally have not overclocked the machine, as I have no idea about how to do it. However I bought it as a reconditioned machine from a computer repair shop (sadly it is out of warranty), so it could be possible the last owner overclocked it. I would have thought the shop would have returned anything like that to normal though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK.
I did not actually see signs of overclocking, the ram voltage was standard .
However one of the many causes of overheating and spurious voltages is overclocking.
I therefore decided to eliminate the possibility.

Have you checked yet for dust build up on the CPU cooling fins.
If you do not know how please ask.
DO NOT use the household vacuum cleaner.
If you use an air duster spray, do NOT allow it to spin the fan blades, ti can do so at such speed that it damages the fan bearing bush.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 June 2011 - 06:18 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please NOTE this is an example ONLY - but yours will not be too dis-similar.
Be extremely careful you do not damage any of the components on the motherboard. - that is the main board on which all the connections are made and on which the CPU is situated.
The coolings fins on your motherboard are unlikely to be as easily seen as these.
A VERY soft brush, such as a small artists brush, is ideal.
Using that to dislodge the dust on the fan blades, and the fins and then GENTLY moving the dust away to the bottom of the case is the best way.
PLEASE Take antit-static precautions. Hold the metal case with both hands, before touching ANY components inside.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 June 2011 - 05:25 AM.