Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preparing network connections shut down

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes, but as noted, they have to do that whether fragmented or not. I am not saying defragging a heavily fragmented drive will not improve performance. What I am saying is a fragmented drive is a symptom of another problem - not enough free disk space.

Advertisements

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have unchecked the unnessecary startup items. Start up now seems to be quicker so something on the list was slowing it down

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thank you and unless you have any other concerns that completes the requirements.
I suggest you keep TFC and ATF Cleaner.
I suggest you uninstall Pitstop, unless of course you wish to keep it.
Normally you can clean up of course using the Windows diskcleanup.
I would recommend ATF Cleaner, once every two weeks or so, remembering not to check prefetch as Windows will simply rebuild it.
TFC Cleaner is not required to be run generally, but I use it once every two months.

Keep an eye on the browser manage add-ons in IE on the Tools tab, as you can if you are not careful install a number of toolbars frequently offered with downloads on the standard installation and unnecessary
Browser Helper Objects.

On Firefox it is also on the tools tab, add-ons.
On both of course you can clean your browsing history from there.on the tools tab on Firefox and on the Safety tab on IE.
It is of course up to you if you use Auslogics or Windows defrag.

Good luck with it and you were great to work with.
Regards
Macboatmaster

NB Always ensure Java and Adobe are up to date as they are two of the most important security risks when out of date.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 July 2011 - 11:50 AM.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Many thanks for all your help Macboatmaster

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

NB Always ensure Java and Adobe are up to date as they are two of the most important security risks when out of date.

And to that, Secunia PSI is great for helping you to stay current.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you go the Secunia route...make sure you check the box that you have to approve the update or it will update behind your back and occasionally updates cause problems...that way you will know which update caused the issue...
or you can get on filehippo's mailing list and they send you a email with any programs that have a update available...
same thing with gizmos

I personally don't have anything check for or update itself...that includes windows

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Good point. I have mine tell me too (changes system tray icon color), rather than do it automatically.