Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply

tufty2000

tufty2000

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently "shut down" my laptop, but it didn't power down. When I looked at it again there was an error message that, I believe, referenced a dll problem (I'm not that knowledgeable so I don't know what that means). I turned it off manually, and now I get the following when I try to boot up:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

I've tried every variation (safe mode, last good configuration etc.) and nothing works (in safe mode it goes through a process where various lines run across the screen but it never gets to the desk top). The only way to turn it off is to use the on/off switch.

I don't recall if I got an installation disk when I ordered the laptop, but if I did I can't find it.

A friend has a "reinstallation CD" from Dell for XP home that I borrowed. I started running it, but was concerned I would end up deleting XP Pro and replacing it with XP home. Is this likely?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi tufty2000

If you and your friend happen to have the same model of laptop, the restore cd will wipe your harddrive and reinstall the Home version. How far did you run the cd, most restore cds are copies of a Ghost program which will automatically wipe the harddrive and reisntall the OS and apps.

What sometimes does help with the IBM that we have, is unplug the laptop, remove the battery, let it sit for 5 - 10 min, plug the laptop back in, leave the battery out for now and power back on. If you still get the prompt that Windows did not shut down, select Safe Mode and wait. If longer than 15 min, (sometimes can take this long) you will have to reinstall.

tufty2000

tufty2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Spank,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. If I have to reinstall, do I need to order a boot disk from the same manufacturer (assuming I can't find whatever restore disk they may have provided)? Will a reinstallation wipe out my data?

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey,

I had the problem once and i didnt have to reinstall everything.

Does your computer keep on rebooting when you start normally like a loop, or does it keep on blocking on the splash screen ?

And do you have you windows xp installation cd ? maybe from a friend ?
And if you have a restore cd for your laptop yeah it would wipe your data, knowing dell they never give other options.

I might have something to help you out

tufty2000

tufty2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Raziel00, If I let stay on the default of start windows normally it keeps looping. If I try anything else (safe mode, etc.), then it gets stuck unless I hit enter.

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
unless you hit enter ? what happens it gets stuck or reboots ?

mine rebooted anyways, i think i can help you but first you have to get your hands on a windows xp installation which you reboot your computer with.

can you do that ?

anyways when you do

1 reboot the pc with the cd
2 then choose in the options the one that says recover or recovery console
3 then youll end up in the console mode
4 your going to type the command "chkdsk"
5 after it is done type the command "fixmbr"

both commands without the quotes, the commands are in there by default so dont need to search.

after that you reboot and it should do the trick

good luck

tufty2000

tufty2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Does it matter if the installation disk is for XP Home or Pro?

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Euh......... very good question, im not sure, give it a try it might work or not, i think its gonna work cause the commands are the same for all windows xp editions, so it should, but then again it might not if it does not recognise its own windows xp edition.

But just to be sure try to get the right edition of the cd installation of windows xp