Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor stuck in power save mode

• Please log in to reply

chazzye

chazzye

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
using a Gateway computer which is running XP with a Dell flat panel monitor. monitor goes into power save mode from the moment the computer gets to the desktop. Most of the time no matter what I do, it won't work. I have tried cycling the power to the monitor,to the computer. Tried moving the mouse and pressing keys on the keyboard. I've tried using another monitor (the gateway monitor that came with the computer won't work on the gateway at all anymore.) I can't test the monitor on the other computer because of the way the cable is made to plug it into the computer.Warranty ran out in '08.
Sometimes I can get it to work for a few minutes and can even get on the internet, then the screen blacks out. I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Thanks,
Chazzye

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Control Panel, Power Options - check setings for power saving mode.
2. Check Device Manager for any warning on Display adaptor
and the monitor, although the latter is unlikely.
If the monitor entry on the driver tab, records any driver check that. It is unlikely a driver will be installed for the actual monitor.

3. Check the connection from the monitor to the computer.
Where is it connected on the I/O plate ie blue coloured connection below mouse and keyboard and near to Lan and usb , or on a horizontal mounted plate below inidcating a separate graphics card.

4. If none of the above work and you feel confident to do so, open the case of the computer and examine the amount of dust and dirt build up inside.
If you do NOT know how to proceed please post back for further advice.

chazzye

chazzye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I am not able to get in to check on anything you mentioned. I did remove the case and removed as much of the dust and dirt that I could reach. Tried turning on the computer, but it is still doing the same thing, although the start-up is much quieter.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well your only option left is to try a known GOOD monitor on this computer.
If you have doubt about the Gateway monitor try that on another computer.

The fault if not the monitor is very likely the graphics card itself, or a driver for it, or a general overheating problem.

Try entering Advanced Boot options on F8 and boot to VGA mode.
Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 June 2011 - 06:48 AM.

chazzye

chazzye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Husband bought a dell Optiplex GX520 computer. I will be keeping the gateway, since I have to transfer files from the old computer to the new one.
The dell monitor will not fit on this computer. Have a bulky monitor that I can use until I get another flat screen.
Thanks for all your help.
Chazzye