Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only IE Will Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, everyone! Brand new here. Great idea for a forum, and I really need your expertise.

Starting two days ago only my IE 9 (either 32 or 64 bit) will connect to my Time Warner cable internet. Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, Skype, Live Mail, Messenger -- you name it -- open and try to connect or sign on but I get nothing, except the browsers do say "No Internet Connection" when clearly there is. Fortunately IE works or I'd really be sunk.

The only thing I recall doing is, I was trying to improve video play on IE because of an issue with some sites, and I stumbled accross "Enhanced IE 9" from Microsoft, figured it couldn't hurt, so installed it. Not sure if it's the culpret but noticed just minutes later that nothing else would connect.

Here's what's really strange: I still get all my news feeds through Live Mail but can't send or receive e-mail there, I can still see who's on or off Live Messenger when using Hotmail but can't sign onto Messenger, yet I can send and receive through Hotmail. Last night I tried to download a second virus scanner/killer, just in case mine had missed something, and no sites would let me, saying I was using a "proxy" to connect. I only faintly know what that is and never set one up intentionally. I can download regular items, however. IE seems to be working just fine otherwise. I can even sign in and out of my bank and all else. And otherwise I have always kept my laptop in the best condition, no junk, defragged, registry fine, etc., only one year old and no issues. Oh, I did try to retstore it to a day before "it" happened, and it said it couldn't. I have to be careful with "restores" because my Cubase recorder license (eLicense)can get messed up, and that's a whole other horror story to fix.

Please do help if you can. It's Father's Day and I have a load of family over in New Zealand who are trying to reach me via Skype and basically freaking out over this. Did IE hijack my connection or settings? I hope I've provided enough details but will gladly provide any other you might need. I've scanned, cleaned, looked for deleted files. Haven't found any issue. Microsoft scans can't either. The PC has been a fine charm, best I've ever used, until now.

Advertisements

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Teleplayer-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Did you try turning off proxy setting? Check out this link, or, alternatively, download a registry fix here. Unzip the file and double-click on it to merge it into the registry.

I use Cubase too, and the licensing nightmare that comes with a wipe is a huge pain! I know how that goes... happy Father's Day, good luck talking to them! :unsure:

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks! I will look into that now and hope to report back!

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
:) Please let us know if your problem has been solved. I will continue to monitor this topic.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
UNDERSCOR3, thanks, but neither one got it. In IE the proxy setting was already off -- nothing set there. And on the zipped noproxy, I unzipped it and it said it was an empty file, yet the zipped package said something like 255 bytes. Totally confused about that. Any ideas?

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, tried again and when I click on it all it says is empty file. Sorry.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wow, my cores are doing some strange stuff suddenly, both up and down, graph looks like very choppy seas.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Still happening -- both my CPU cores are jumping up and down from 10 to 80% constantly, and it's been going on for maybe 20 minutes now.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay, edit this post -- so after an hour CPU settled down and I see this package was an enable DEP, which is already in Windows 7 I believe. But this problem persists. Thanks for your help so far. Any other ideas? Options "says" I don't have a proxy set up. Still can't use Skype or my other browsers. What could this be? I feel like in a Twilight Zone. Can anybody help? I can't see how it could be anything major, and it sure doesn't act like any virus. Ideas? Cure?

Edited by Teleplayer, 19 June 2011 - 08:52 PM.

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sorry, I was away from my laptop for a few hours. Okay, let's see...

The ZIP file contained a registry file that was hidden. My bad :). It doesn't matter now if your proxy was turned off initially.

As for the CPU usage, did you see which process was causing it to spike?

Advertisements

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, welcome back. I had some stuff to do, too, but thought I'd hop back on to check.

Sorry, no, I didn't check to see which process(es), but it calmed down after quite a while. This has been ongoing for two days now, and I guess I'm a bit fried from all this. I did check to see what you'd sent. I heard W7 already comes with that enabled. Anyhow, Options wasn't set on proxy. BTW, I have ExpressGate on this ASUS, their own simple OS for quick work -- doesn't use Windows -- and that basic browser works there, too. But the Skype included there doesn't.

But back on Windows, still Skype won't start, none of the browsers beside EI work. I installed a Netscape Navigator fresh and it won't go. Tried Safari again, which I almost never use -- nope.

I've never heard of such a problem. Usually it's no Internet PERIOD. I did a search for lost or deleted files and found some javascripts and whatnot, although these could be from something else deleted some other time properly and not over-written yet. The bummer is, to collect and bring up the files it has to throw them into "Unknown Folder," so I can't tell what exactly they belong to. I can't read java or cookie scripts, etc. I found bits of jpegs and png files that were obvious trash fragments, and big chunk of an nVidia demo I deliberately uninstalled.

If it's not on proxy AND I installed a brand new browser and it can't connect, then what could it be? A damaged or missing file? I'm totally confused. I've always wanted to but never had any time to devote to serious PC ops until just this year and don't know much yet. I don't want to take it to the squad at a big box store where they'll just want to wipe it and hand it back. Somehow this seems deceptively simple, so I'm sure you or someone can figure this out.

QUESTION: I have all disks; can I pull any missing software out separately from those if needed and replace stuff? I'm thinking it would have to be something in some program file(s). Right? Please help!

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hmm, let's try a quick sanity check...

Download this file. Unzip it and double click on the file called test.bat. This will create a file called results.txt on your desktop. Please attach that file in your next reply.

Also, try taking a look at this article. I've seen it work... sometimes.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your last question. Are you talking about saving your currently installed programs?

Edited by underscor3, 20 June 2011 - 12:25 AM.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry if I confused with my question, it is just something I always wondered about. Let me restate: If I am missing any piece of software or have any file that is damaged, can I simply go to my Windows 7 boot, repair, etc. disk and replace it in my program files or wherever it is needed?

Meanwhile, I ran the results.txt you sent and will attach and send it now. I'll check out the article you linked as well. Thanks!Attached File  results.txt   1.26KB   167 downloads

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Say, that sawtooth behavior in my CPU has stated up again and I have something for you this time. Although several processes are jumping around so fast up and down it's hard to follow, the biggest offender is certainly iexplore.exe and it ranging from mere kb's to 40 megs. Hope that helps, 'cause I think it turns out it's IE 9 itself that is causing the CPU to go crazy.

I'm going to hold off on last article link for now. Possibly too advanced for me. afraid I'll mess something up and not be able to get online at all. Will await your further instructions.

Edited by Teleplayer, 20 June 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also, attempted to run Microsoft's Internet Connectivity Tool. It said my Active X is not installed and then their run button does nothing on their page, yet they give no instructions what to do. I have to say Microsoft has been ZERO help through all of this. There's almost no one on their help forum besides employees making excuses to users.