Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only IE Will Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
What software do you think is missing? The Windows disc can help repair problems with the operating system, but not with specific files or programs that aren't part of the OS. If you think you're missing files or your data has been corrupted:
  • Type cmd into the search bar in the Start Menu. Right-click and select Run as Administrator.
  • Enter the following code into the command line:

chkdsk c: /r
  • Press 'y' when it prompts you.
  • Restart the computer. The scan may take several hours, be patient.

Also, you can list processes by CPU usage in task manager. Click on the CPU list in the processes tab to sort by most/least CPU usage (also by name, memory usage, etc., depending on which list title you select).

Edited by underscor3, 20 June 2011 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Uderscor3, thanks for sticking with this. It may not be fixed yet but your assistance is reassuring. Say, how do you like your Cubase and the world of DAW? I've just got familiar with it and now getting started.

To answer your question: It was just one of my few remaining guesses. I scanned with a new virus cleaner to be double sure. It found a "corrupted Apple Safari add-on and ditched it; otherwise NO issues. What could be left? Enhanced IE 9 hijacked settings or somehow some kind of supporting software got ditched or damaged. So strange that PC works fine other wise, IE, too, except now it always produces sawtooth on my little CPU graph. Goes away as soon as I close IE, but when running IE I notice no issues at all (except websites say I have a proxy, which I don't have one set, and it says I don't have ActiveX, which I believe I do).

Still -- no other browsers work, no Skype, no ASUS direct downloads, no virus updates to my scanner. YET I got Microsoft updates this morning. Still get news feeds through Live Mail but no mail in or out. Can send/receive through Hotmail on IE, see who's on Messenger but can sign in to messenger. So, all same as yesterday.

A few things work, yet most don't.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I may run the checkdisc in a minute. But check this out: Okay, so I decided to run UniBlues' registry checker/fixer. It's telling me it can't run when there are multiple users ON. There are no multiple users, just me. So far I've been told I have a proxy setup, no ActiveX, and now multiple users. All nonsense I think. What is this all about? It says other users have to sign off before it can run. I am totally confused at this point.

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
You don't want to use a registry cleaner- they make a mess of your system, and you'd be better off wiping and re-installing the OS. Click here for an article on why registry cleaners are bad.

I don't use Cubase for much, mostly live recording when I do engineering for live shows. DAW's a little outside my scope. :)

I'm going to do some research and see what I can come up with. What anti-virus programs have you scanned with?

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I didn't get to use it anyway, so will unistall. But why is it claiming multiple users? Each time I try something I learn (or am told) something weird. I have one PC on standard Road Runner cable. It's all become like some big riddle. Can you make sense of it?

Cubase came with a total of 346 manual pages, most need-to-know. I spent two weeks learning just about all. I don't have a free studio deal anymore, and can't afford hundred$ for the hours, so I have to go this route.

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Underscor3, I certainly appreciate your interest and your help. I missed your last question -- I've been using Microsoft's own Windows Defender (and I know that not highly regarded) but turned that off and checked with new version of AVG (the only other I was able to download), which found a corrupted Safari add-on which was removed and resulted in no improvement. I'm almost 100% certain it's nothing virus-related, as I did a search and it sounds just like a problem many others have had. I'll try that winsock registry fix shortly (after I wake up more), and I hope that does it.

I have scanned and checked through everything thoroughly. Everything is normal, except the CPUs jump as before when running IE, which tells me it's unstable (yet it seems to work fine). When one clicks on that "enhanced IE" it makes MSN homepage, Bing lead search engine -- and what else it does I can't find out from anyone anywhere. But if my problem is close to ones I have searched, it did indeed essentially "hijack" some settings and take over my connectivity. In other words MS themselves messed up my PC.

Every test I have done, meanwhile, comes back normal yet the disease persists. It reminds me of that doctor show called "House."

When I search "only IE works" I get a few pages of almost identical titles. I imagine you've seen those already. For now, I'm just wondering if you thought of anything new?

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did an sfc /scannow a minute ago -- said it had found some corrupted files that it couldn't/didn't fix, but have no idea where to go from there. The command given by respondent on MS Answers forum doesn't work. Can't see what they are either.

Edited by Teleplayer, 21 June 2011 - 11:03 AM.

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Can you post a link to that thread?

Teleplayer

Teleplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

So I get to "edit sfcdetails.txt" and it responds by saying it doesn't recognize "edit" so I get no farther. Says this works on Windows 7. Thought I might see something finally, as I've ruled out so much else.