Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Disk failure/Windows Repair

• Please log in to reply

trans_lucent

trans_lucent

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My dad's computer crashed today. Not entirely sure what happened but I'll try to explain.

The desktop background turned black, almost all the icons on his desktop disappeared, and everything in the internal hard drive seems to have been wiped out. Since it's his business computer, I was mainly concerned with recovering those files. A Windows Repair window would open and detected several problems with the computer. Several Hard Disk Failure warnings and some delayed write warnings would pop up.

I rebooted the computer several times, and the same thing happened. Windows Repair was unable to fix any of the problems. I rebooted and started the computer in Safe Mode but all the files were still missing. So then, I did a Windows Recovery and recovered the computer back to a previous date (6-16-11, to be exact).

Now the warnings aren't coming up and the background of the computer is back to normal, but all the icons that originally disappeared are still gone and the internal hard drive is still completely empty. Thankfully, I just realized that we have an external hard drive that has been backing up all his files every night so everything is fine. The computer seems to be functioning well but I just want to make sure I don't need to replace some of the hardware or something...

Let me know if you need any more information to help!

Advertisements

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
trans_lucent-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

We've seen a lot of viruses masquerade themselves as programs that look like Windows errors and report fake hard drive crashes and other such malicious errors. I suggest posting a new thread on the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums. Also, be sure to check this topic before you make a new post. It will help our volunteers assist you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

trans_lucent

trans_lucent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you, will do!

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
You're very welcome. If you are still having problems after the malware removal tech proclaims your computer clean, please resume this thread and we will continue to take a look at your system. In that situation, please also link to your thread in the malware removal forum.

I will continue to monitor this thread. Let me know if there's anything else I can to do help. :)