Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Both of PC's DVD Drives are not recognized/working

• Please log in to reply

BIGROD

BIGROD

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
My PC's DVD drives are not being recognized or reading discs currently. I have disabled/enabled both, rebooted, reinstalled/uninstalled. Still nothing. Running XP. One is a standard DVD ROM and the other is a DVD RW. I remember having this issue in the past and it was easily remedied but this time all of the usual steps don't seem to be working. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi BIGROD
Some suggestions for you below;
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#misc
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions

Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue and let us know how it works out.

BIGROD

BIGROD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks for the response, but unfortunately none of the above remedies worked. Upon reboot, the PC attempts to add the "new" hardware and is unable to successfully do so. Looking at the properties for both drives, the Device Status reads: "The drivers for this device are not installed." [Code 28] Guess that's my problem there, but I have been unsuccessful in finding drivers for these. Don't have any software on hand for the following DVD ROMs: Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8588 and SONY DVD RW DRU-720A :)